Could be, but it wouldn't hurt to do a scan of your system and find out if
anything is wrong with it.


On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Debanjan Bandyopadhyay <debast...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> I'm not the techie here, but I don't think its a malware on a system per
> se. Reason being being, two different people have experienced it, same ad
> also from different IP's, different locations though.
>
>
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
> parakara.gh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Definitely Adware/Malware/Spyware/etc.
>> Notice in the Screenshot, it says Ads Not By This Site.
>> It should've been a clue.
>> Do scan your system with a good antivirus [Free or paid doesn't matter].
>> If your system is infected by anything, your data might be at risk.
>> --Cheers,
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Debanjan Bandyopadhyay <
>> debast...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just saw that screenshot and remembered, even my friend said, it was
>>> by the same site, inkfruit. Some common issue??
>>>
>>>
>>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Debanjan Bandyopadhyay <
>>> debast...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> No, now that you mention him, even a friend of mine in Pune told me
>>>> that Wikipedia had started ads, to which I dared him to show me and in fact
>>>> made a bet. He failed to show me when I asked him to, so I took it as a
>>>> singular even, perhaps, some sort of mistake he made. However, since other
>>>> people have started seeing this, I though I'd tell you that he is not 
>>>> alone.
>>>>
>>>> I'll ask him further details about his net connection and get back to
>>>> you guys on this.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Aditya Sengupta 
>>>> <apsengu...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Interesting- a virus that injects ads directly into the DOM.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 19:03, Bala Jeyaraman <sodabot...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> mostprobably adware in his machine. A smiliar report in portugese
>>>>>> wikipedia is here:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> http://translate.google.co.in/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%25C3%25A9dia:Esplanada/geral/Spam_na_Wikipedia,_problema_%2810mar2012%29&ei=TqlcT9fyMs2rrAe468GlDA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CE4Q7gEwBA&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522ads%2Bnot%2Bby%2Bthis%2Bsite%2522%2Binjection%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D6zj%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Dimvns
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Aditya Sengupta <
>>>>>> apsengu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> A friend got in touch with me about this. He is currently seeing
>>>>>>> advertisements on Wikipedia pages (on all pages except the home page). 
>>>>>>> Here
>>>>>>> is a link to a screenshot:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> http://i.imgur.com/dhKyR.jpg
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> These advertisements were not visible to him when I asked him to
>>>>>>> check through the secure WM server. These advertisements are also not
>>>>>>> visible to him on any other web page. To the bottom right of each ad, 
>>>>>>> there
>>>>>>> is some text that says, "ads not by this site". I've taken a quick look
>>>>>>> through the page source he forwarded, nothing looks untoward. His
>>>>>>> right-click menu does not appear when he right-clicks on the ad.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> He is based out of Mumbai and ISP is "Tata Teleservices Maharashtra
>>>>>>> Ltd". His IP address is 114.143.88.193 (or was, while he accessed this
>>>>>>> page; I've since had him change his IP address since I'm sharing this 
>>>>>>> one).
>>>>>>> I'm not sure if this issue is restricted to Mumbai; since the IP address
>>>>>>> shows up in Pune when I try to geolocate it (though I understand this is
>>>>>>> fairly common).
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> The link he is directed to when he clicks the ad is this:
>>>>>>> http://www.inkfruit.com/combo-landing?utm_source=CMP1002Combo&utm_medium=CPM&utm_content=combobanner&utm_campaign=Combo.
>>>>>>> I'm adding this here and copying the founder of Inkfruit since the 
>>>>>>> campaign
>>>>>>> data in the URL parameters may help identify the problem (also, I'm not
>>>>>>> sure if Inkfruit is aware of this campaign).
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I've copied my friend here in case there are further questions he
>>>>>>> could help answer.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Could this be a case of DPI by his ISP, or simply malware on his
>>>>>>> machine? If it were the former, what would be the legal status of the
>>>>>>> issue?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
>>>>>>> Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit
>>>>>>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
>>>>>> Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit
>>>>>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
>>>>> Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit
>>>>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Regards,
>>>> Debanjan*
>>>>
>>>> - Lets make this world a better and more informative place*
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Debanjan*
>>>
>>> - Lets make this world a better and more informative place*
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
>>> Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>>> To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit
>>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
>> Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on February 12th.
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Coimbatore
>> Aliens invaded Tamil Nadu, left their Spacship and now it is a Toll
>> Plaza.
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IVRCL-Vijayamangalam-Toll-Plaza.JPG
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
>> Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>> To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Debanjan*
>
> - Lets make this world a better and more informative place*
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
> Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>
>


-- 
Regards,
Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on February 12th.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Coimbatore
Aliens invaded Tamil Nadu, left their Spacship and now it is a Toll Plaza.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IVRCL-Vijayamangalam-Toll-Plaza.JPG
_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit 
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l

Reply via email to