On Mar 13, 2012, at 5:14 PM, Ashwin Baindur wrote:

> Hisham, it seems you now owe the community "tunde ke kabab" during the next
> bash. ;)

Considering that Shiju is trying to get support to improve the health of the
community, tunde ke kabab I suspect would be ill-advised.  Now on the other
hand, if you had asked for brinjals...

Shameless plug: Please click on the community health link above or on the
Medical Translate page and join up. We already have 12 editors from 7 Indic
languages participating - which is great.  ...but we ONLY have 12 editors from
7 Indic languages!!!

> Srikanth, do humour only if you can do it. It should be used sparingly, like
> salt. Its counter-productive if it falls flat.

er, strictly speaking, salt in tunde ke kabab can't fall flat.  It can either
be too much or too little. in the context of tunde ke kabab, though the recipe
is secret, i have tasted a hint of cloves - which could theoretically fall flat.

*mailing list admin bursts a vein*

> Better that instructors/volunteers should be positive, smiling and enthu
> while editing to get similar effects.

On a serious note, I wanted to raise another point.  English is not a first
language for all of us.  Not all of us are comfortable speaking in public - and
that too in English.  However (some) times, we feel pressured to conduct
outreach in English by a college room full of guys who are chattering in
English.  There's nothing wrong if you choose to do outreach in our mother
tongues. In fact, there is everything right in the  presenter presenting in the
language that he or she is most comfortable with.  Bengali or Gujarati or Tamil
or Punjabi or whatever is the non-English common language between the audience
and the presenter.  It doesn't have to be English if you're not comfortable.

hisham