Ashwin,
Thanks for the suggestions. But the contest deliberately kept the entry
barriers low - the contest was for the uploads alone. So we are not
considering any additional behaviour (categorising, clear descriptions,
usage suggestions) for the prizes.

Too add to Srikanth L's points on the tamil wiki media contest, these are
some of the preliminary lessons learnt (the official report will carry the
complete list):

1) The commons admins/maintenance activity oriented users  are even more
overworked than en wiki. If we are bringing files there through our
activities, we carry the responsibility to not to overburden them. We
realised this and have formed a team from ta wiki, which is doing the
categorising and adding descriptions. (This team just coalesced on its own,
without any conscious effort on the organisers part and is doing well aided
by commons regulars).[1] Two of us have applied for and got file mover
rights and two more have obtained AWB rights for doing cleanup.
Categorisation is about 90 percent complete now.

We plan to finish the clean up (copyvio tagging / rotating/ cropping /
description / categorising/ watermark removal) for all the files that were
uploaded as part of the after contest efforts.

The priority for us is 1)eliminating copyvio 2)clear filenames/descriptions
3)rotations 4)categorisaton

And do the categorisation using people who are familiar with it in your own
wikis (to avoid redundancy and errors like Beria points out). Dont do
categorisation drives by people who aren't familiar with how and why
categorising should be done.

2) Let contestants know where the images go and what they are used for.
This will earn our wikis more active users. We managed to do this for part
of the contestants - couldnt reach them all. But to my knowledge, ta wiki
has gained atleast half a dozen new users who are using their files and
some are even writing new articles for using their entries. Once they
became involved, they are involving themselves in further activities in
commons too.

3) Of the 15k odd files uploaded as part of the contest 8k are being used
in various wiki projects and counting multiple usage, across all wikis
there are a total of 11k file usage instances.

4) Taking cue from WLM Europe, we are planning a followup message on all
uploaders talk pages  (and email if their email facility is enabled)
thanking them and telling them of furthur activities they can take part of.

==Links==
1)
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChangesLinked&limit=250&target=Category%3ATamilWiki_Media_Contest