On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:01 AM, Pradeep Mohandas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The conversation is moving off topic. Perhaps the question to mull over is
> what to do next?

How do we move the predominance of media coverage beyond mainstream English
print into local language print and other media channels such as radio and the
Internet?
How do we encourage volunteers from as many Indic communities as possible to
volunteer for communications activities so that as many languages are covered?
How do we ensure that news coverage is not all warm fuzzy stuff about Wikipedia
- but also provides a call to action to potential newbies as well as links or
contacts that they can reach out?
How do we build and expand our network of media contacts?
How do we build a toolkit for media/PR/social media such that community members
are able to rapidly deploy to support specific initiatives such as Wikiprojects
or to celebrate community or project milestones?
How can we use media to support specific community events such as meet-ups or
outreach sessions?
Can we use media/PR to celebrate editing excellence - by showcasing select
articles - and also sharing insights and invitations into the movement that is
behind this content?
Can we acknowledge individual life / wiki stories of editors to promote editor
retention and newbie attraction?
Can we build a digital outreach model that is effective?  What will it take -
in terms of resources such as online tutorials or videos or help pages or chat
rooms?
How does a digital outreach model not duplicate existing efforts already
underway or in advanced stages of planning?
Can we integrate community building into the digital outreach model?
How do we determine if a language community is able to manage the potential
newbie load from such a digital outreach model?
How do we teach the media about the movement and community and projects - given
relatively low levels of understanding within such an influential group?
How do we support a community initiative like Wikipatrika in a manner that it
remains entirely owned by the individual community members - but we are still
able to help them?  How do we do this without taking away credit and also
without building dependence?
How do we make the India Program monthly newsletters richer and more useful to
community members?
Can we introduce story-telling as a effective means of sharing the work that is
done by community members such that we are able to cross-pollinate ideas?
How can social media be used to drive not just attendance of events (such as
photothons) but can be used to introduce newbies to Wikimedia policies?
How can we adapt the WikimediaIndia handle on facebook so that it expands in
popularity - but remains relevant to newbies and more experienced community
members?
How do we build the WikimediaIndia handle on twitter?
How do we constantly remain on top of trends in social media so that we are
present and relevant in channels where potential newbies might be?
Do we need to localise swag and if so what do we do we need?
How do we work intimately with the Chapter's communications team - but remain
accessible to non-Chapter members as well?
How do we ensure that everything we do on communications is rooted in community
building and not marketing mumbo jumbo?
How do we measure results in communications?
How do we constantly ensure that everything done on communications - which will
require the communications expertise - can be done in a manner where capability
is transferred to interested community members?

hisham