Seriously? I don't mean to be rude here but I'd really don't think that is
the way it was meant to be interpreted. I mean, if I say Ashwin is
kind-hearted, doesn't mean I'm calling every other community member
heartless. My two paise.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Arjun Mangol Kanoth <
arjun.man...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can't we just consider the comment as applying to every Wikipedian in
> India, after all, for outsiders who don't know our diversity, we're just
> Indians. I'm quite sure he didn't mean what was interpreted :)
>

> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Ashwin Baindur
> <ashwin.bain...@gmail.com>wrote:

>> emulated’)
>> (url -
>> http://expressbuzz.com/topnews/%E2%80%98malayalam-wikipedia-could-be-emulated%E2%80%99/386803.html
>> )
>>
>> The Malayalam Wikimedian community definitely deserves kudos. A
>> diverse bunch of people volunteered their effort and skills gratis for
>> many years to build up what is already a major educational aid in
>> Malayalam. This will play an actual positive role in community
>> development and that is what the greatest reward to the participants.
>> We are confident that they will go on with their exemplary work and
>> prove to be sources of inspiration to us all in the years to come.
>> That kind of satisfaction, at being part of something bigger than
>> oneself and being able to make a difference in the world, motivates
>> Wikimedians all over the world, as it does in India also.
>>
>> Human nature causes wikimedians to look to the statements of WMF
>> officials for encouragement, advice and guidance (though imho they
>> should not). In this context, Newstead's comment at the
>> Wikisangamotsav  in Kollam last weekend - "they don’t focus on
>> politics or personal gains" - can be construed as mischievous in the
>> worst case and mistaken in the best.
>>
>> Though the WMF does dole out some grants to individuals and
>> communities, all Wikimedians are essentially unpaid volunteers, the
>> vast majority of which do not have access to resources provided by the
>> Foundation.
>>
>> Such a remark casts aspersions wrongly on the rest of the Indian
>> wikipedian community, giving the casual reader the idea that the
>> Malayalam Wikimedians are paragons of virtue while the remainder of
>> the Indian Wikimedian community “focus on politics and personal gain”.
>>
>> The remark indicates a deep distrust of the WMF for the general
>> community for reasons best known to them. Such a remark is hardly
>> constructive in motivating the entire bunch of Indian Wikimedians who,
>> as a collective whole, are making extremely valuable contributions to
>> society despite being unpaid volunteers and at the cost of a large
>> amount of personal time and often at their own expense.
>>
>> The question arises at what could be the reason for politics and what
>> personal gains are to be found in doing Wikipedia editing or outreach?
>>
>> Satisfaction, learning, peer approval, interaction with intelligent
>> fellow-believers, social service and fun are the personal gains for
>> editors - all legitimate rewards which one can partake off with
>> integrity and pride.
>>
>> Politics arises when scarce resources are pursued by many. It cannot
> [...]

Debanjan*

- Lets make this world a better and more informative place*