I believe Aditya sent one when this thing first cropped up on this list.

From: phili...@wikimedia.org
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 11:03:02 -0700
To: wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Ads Injected into Wikipedia?

I've been trying to get a copy of that source for months, so please send it my
way as well.  :)___________________Philippe BeaudetteDirector, Community
Advocacy

Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
415-839-6885, x 6643
phili...@wikimedia.org

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Sudhanwa Jogalekar <sudhanwa....@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi,

Next time when anyone gets such ad, please take a screenshot and also

view the source of the page and save it.

That source will help find the source of the ads.

HTH

-Sudhanwa

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan

<parakara.gh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The ads don't show up on https, ONLY on http.

> It doesn't matter which browser you use, IE or Chrome. I use IE, Opera and I

> see no ads, but several cyber cafes I use have these ads EVEN on Firefox,

> and Chrome.

> Inkfruit, probably doesn't have anything to do with this, I suggest you all

> take a good look at a content provider called 'Conduit' who is the culprit

> behind these.

> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Anirudh Bhati <anirudh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Debanjan Bandyopadhyay

>> <debast...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hmmm...that maybe true but what else can we do, I mean, Inkfruit has to

>>> be involved somewhere in this right? Think about it, if you were an ad

>>> injecting virus, why would you randomly inject ads that too of inkfruit? For

>>> people who face these ads, are the ads appearing only on wikipedia or other

>>> websites also? If I am not wrong, if this is the work of a malware, it would

>>> display the ad on each and every website you visit and not just specifically

>>> Wikipedia. If its only Wikipedia and the ad is only Inkfruit, I'd really

>>> say, if nothing can be done via code, legal needs to be involved. If its a

>>> non-specific malware, just clean your systems, I guess and inform others.

>>> Rather, I'd say, instead of not going public with this, if it gets too

>>> frequent, go public. Display a banner on top of Wiki stating that if you see

>>> ads on Wikipedia that is not at all related to Wiki, rather you should check

>>> your system for malware. The point is people should not assume, that

>>> Wikipedia has started ads.

>> I don't think the enwp community will agree to acknowledge the malware by

>> putting up a worldwide banner.  Most of our users don't face this problem,

>> and the only problem devices are those which have been compromised.

>> The only effective resolution would be when Google and MS agree to patch

>> this up.

> Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

web: www.sudhanwa.com  blog: www.sudhanwa.in

Twitter: sudhanwa Check on FB, Linkedin for more.