Hola!

  Greetings from Buenos Aires!

I am User: Netha Hussain (1), writing from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I was
lucky to represent India  in the WikiWomenCamp (2) and WikiGenero held here
from 23-26 May 2012. My travel and accommodation were sponsored by
Wikimedia Germany and Wikimedia Austria. The past four days had been
fabulous, and I enjoyed being in the company of amazing women from
different parts of the world.

The conference was held in open space format with no agenda. Open space
technology is called the 'wiki-way' of conducting conference as ideas are
created by the way of discussing in groups and accepting contributions from
all participants. I loved this, and I think we must try and use this
methodology in Indian conferences too. We discussed about many issues which
are primarily of concern to women, including mapping gender issues,
edit-wars, GLAM, attracting women to Wikiprojects etc (3). We learned about
the many projects launched in different countries for the increasing the
participation of women in administration.

 I could present the Indian perspective of issues at the conference. Most
participants were amazed to know about the diversity of Indian languages. I
also spoke about the WikiConf-Mumbai 2011 and the results of the gendergap
session organized in the conference. The working of the chapter was also
explained, but it was disappointing to reveal that we did not have had any
women member in the chapter ever since.

We created a private mailing list for women to get support when dealing
with harassment, took steps to create WikiChix, decided to print books on
perspectives of women in various countries and discussed about conducting a
WikiWomencamp with more participants the coming year.

At WikiGenero which happened on 26th May, Sue Gardner delivered a keynote
address which was very inspiring. The news about the camp was published in
local newspapers. The notes are available on meta and photos on commons(4).
At the conference, I could build contacts with many women from different
parts of the world. I could learn many new things could also share my
knowledge. It was a highly rewarding experience.

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Netha_Hussain
(2) http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiWomenCamp
(3) http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiWomenCamp/Agenda
(4) http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:WikiWomenCamp_2012