On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Barry Newstead (WMF) <
bnewst...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Just a brief note on the 8% retention rate of a pilot that is not yet two
> months old and has the potential for significant further refinement and
> improvement.  This is a high retention rate based on data I've seen on
> general outreach events, where the rates of conversion to editing are very
> low (generally well below 5% in the analysis we've been doing in India
> since January), as many people have discussed on this list and elsewhere.
> The Wikipedia Education Program, where students have a rather deep
> introduction to Wikipedia, has seen a retention rate of only 4% after the
> end of the course.[1]

I don't think those editors have been "retained".  You will find that all
of them have made 5-10 edits on a single day (likely with considerable
application of persuasion) and then stopped completely.

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Gautam John <gau...@prathambooks.org>
 wrote:

> On 30 May 2012 18:27, Theo10011 <de10...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I won't do it actually. As memory serves, WMF has never used Social
> media,
> > or hired one of those "social media experts".
>
> Fair enough. That said, that is no reason not to try it in India or
> other specific locales, right? So long as it ties in to specific
> outcomes that WMF and WIP have lined up for the larger program - in
> this case, visibility for Wikipedia and driving new editors.

This is something which has been discussed previously on Wikimedia related
lists - Wikimedia projects and other social media networks are dissimilar
services with a completely different purpose around communities.  It goes
without saying that they attract different sort of contributors looking to
achieve different goals.  I will not go on to further elaborate and reduce
this to an academic discussion but will just conclude by saying that
working on our projects is not akin to a social media experience and that
it is highly unlikely that we will successfully leverage social media
oriented programs to harvest contributors for our projects in a way that
justifies the financial costs involved.

Wikipedia has sufficient visibility on the Internet around the world and in
India.  I am opposed to spending the community's considerable monetary
resources to run facebook groups for training newbies.  As Salmaan
expressed earlier, there are better qualified and trained individuals with
substantial Wikimedia experience around the world suited to experiment with
newer frontiers.

 wrote:

> There always are and sitting on the outside, it's hard for me to
> justify one over the other. That said, have the metrics they reported
> and based on the numbers Anirudh posted point to an engagement level
> that is on par with, better or worse than for the casual drive by
> editor? If better, than, IMHO, the question is whether that
> acquisition cost and time worth it over the medium term.

I think there are likely to be positive outcomes of extended intervention
with local communities in most cases.  Here, it is not so apparent since
the period of engagement with the community was limited.  We find that the
fantastic news about the increased activity among the Assamese Wikipedians
is mainly a result of bot-like editing and creation of numerous redirects.
 However, I am not so pessimistic about the whole idea of engaging smaller
Indic language projects, This can work specially with a proper Wikipedian
like Shiju taking the lead, however, the projection of instant results like
the email sent by Hisham suggests is not believable.  Therefore, the
question around acquisition cost and time is an important factor which
should be carefully examined.

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Arun Ganesh <arun.plane...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> These platforms can easily extend the social collaboration that goes on in
> wikipedia to an extended audience if done properly. What i think would be
> useful way of measuring these things is to release statistics monthly on
> the number of retweets or shares that could indicate the actual reach of
> these outreach efforts. Util then however, this is nothing to boast about.

This is a fair suggestion, Arun.  I'd think user experience is something
which can be enhanced through engineering and software development rather
than the current way of implementation.

Noopur, thank you for posting the report.  I have a few questions for the
India Programs team which I have listed under, would appreciate if you
could respond:

1.  How do you plan on scaling the Social Media pilot beyond your own
networks?
2.  Do you believe you can effectively create a mechanism for recruitment
of editors through this project in a manner that justifies the cost and
time involved?  I am asking this because I noticed that you make serious
attempts at trying to convince users to edit Wikipedia pages.
3.  How many hours per week do you spend on the Wikipedia support group?