Amir, I didn't understand what you mean by Pakistan being ahead?
Has Pakistan also taken up any govt-backed initiative for Urdu development?

Arun, this could be like what the K'taka govt tried with Kanaja.[1]
Curiously, when it was released, the press said Kannada Wikipedia
launched.[2]

1: http://kanaja.in/

2a: http://news.oneindia.in/2009/12/06/kannada-wikipedia-launched.html
2b: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcz-nkx5vrU

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <
amir.ahar...@mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> 2012/6/1 Arun Ganesh <arun.plane...@gmail.com>:
> > This article in today's Times of India left me puzzled. This is not
> related
> > to the Urdu wikipedia is it?
>
> Hmm, it's a curious article, but I'm as puzzled as you are.
>
> Are they uploading an existing encyclopedia to Wikipedia?
> Are they creating a new site?
> Why is Pakistan ahead of India if it's the same language?
>
> It's possible, of course, that the journalist who wrote the article
> didn't quite understand it himself. It happens very often...

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.