On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
parakara.gh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What are the odds that the Google coordinates on Wiki are complety out
> of place? I know that quite often it is incorrect, but I trust
> Wikipedians to have a sense me judgement that tells them what is
> actually correct.

I can talk from personal experience. I was one of the first people to start
adding coordinates to  articles of Indian places, sometime around 2007/8
when wikiproject geographical coordinates started picking up steam. There
were lot of villages in Tamil Nadu, where I blindly picked the location
shown on google maps (as there really was no other source at that time).
After an initial mapping spree, I gave up on the task because it was too
tedious at that time. This is roughly the same time I discovered the
openstreetmap project and realized my mistake with copying blindly from
existing maps.

The coordinates I had added may have possibly been incorrect (I really dont
know and there was no way for me to verify them). But by now the error has
already gone back into google maps and the position stands validated
because its the same coords on wikipedia.

Imagine the irony if map services with the correct position is now seen as
being inaccurate because wikipedia states otherwise. Just like article
citations, even coordinates must have some indication of the source. The
current system is just faulty.

j.mp/ArunGanesh <http://j.mp/ArunGanesh>