Interesting.

*Only 9% of Wikipedia editors are females* - The number could be a bit more
or a bit less, as this conclusion is based on the gender preferences given
by the user in their account. [1] I am pretty sure that the figures in most
Indian language Wikipedias would be even lesser, considering that women in
our country have lesser access to the internet than those of the West.

We are yet to tap the potential of the millions of e-literate women of our
country who are have the basic skills to contribute to Wikipedia.
Considering that women can create more impact on other women, we need to
have more women from the community be active in outreach activities. I am
still hopeful that a day will come when the gender ratio in all Indic
Wikipedias would be close to 1:1!

I'd request all Indian women Wikimedians on this list to add their names to
this<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Geographical_distribution_of_Indian_Wikipedians>[2]
page so that we could plan for online and offline activities for
increasing the participation of women in Wikiprojects.

[1] http://grouplens.org/system/files/wp-gender-wikisym2011.pdf
[2] http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Geographical_distribution_of_Indian_Wikipedians

Thanks!

Cheers

Netha Hussain
[[User: Netha Hussain]]

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या
*فريدريك نورونيا <fredericknoro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://visual.ly/wikipedias-gender-gap
> --
> FN +91-832-2409490 or +91-9822122436 f...@goa-india.org