Quite a philosophical question this no?
Apparently, India has an act that defines what are monuments. It goes by the
rather descriptive name,
Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958. You can read
this act here -
http://www.asi.nic.in/asi_monuments.asp
My answer to you here is in a much broader context than the competition, in
reference to which you ask this question.
warm regards,Pradeep Mohandas