Dear friends,

This is to inform you all about the creation of the first MediaWiki group in
India. For the past several days, I’ve been speaking to Quim Gil, Sumana and
Yuvi Panda. I was informed about the setting up of local groups in different
countries for technical contributors. With encouragement from all of them and
with help from Noopur I submitted a proposal for the formation of MediaWiki
Group Ahmedabad. This proposal has been endorsed by 7 people so far.

For those who might be interested in setting up similar groups, I think a
Wikitech mailing list for India is being set up and personally, I would be
happy to help you write a proposal for your community. I think it’s a great
idea because with the help of this technical group we intend to make good
technical infrastructure and editing environment for Gujarati Wikipedia easier
to contribute to.

I have already ported HotCat and Popups(on the way) on Gujarati Wikipedia.
Please have a look at the areas we want to collaborate on:

Areas of collaboration:
Localize Gadgets for Gujarati Wikipedia and Wikisource
Create New Gadgets and extensions
Bug solving for Gujarati Wikipedia and WikiSource and also other MediaWiki
related Bug solving for all Indian languages
Translate into Gujarati Language, i.e http://translatewiki.net/
Wikidata

You can read the proposal here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups/Proposals/Ahmedabad

Your endorsements, improvements and feedback are welcome at the wiki
page. Thank you!

Harsh Kothari

PS: see also http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups/Proposals

---