1. Bringing Konkani Encyclopedia in Public Domain

A meeting was scheduled with the Vice Chancellor Dr. Satish R Shetye to discuss
the possibility of bringing Konkani Encyclopedia in public domain. As for now
the four volume Konkani Encyclopedia is under copyright of University of Goa.
Dr. Shetye has gifted one whole set of Konkani Encyclopedia to CIS and is
interested to relinquish the copyright to release it under creative common
license and digitize it on Wikipedia. In the coming weeks we'll be working
closely with Dr. Shetye and his team to digitize this free encyclopedia on
Wikipedia.

Special thanks to Goa State Library, Goa University, Dr. Shetye, Prof. Alito
Siqueira, Prof. Gopakumar for such a wonderful gift. And a big thanks to
Harriet Vidyasagar and Debanjan and all those who helped to pull this through.

Picture:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:With_Vice-Chancellor_Dr._Shetye_2.JPG

2&3. Two Days Wikipedia workshop at Goa University
A two day Wikipedia session was organized for MA, research and PhD students at
Goa University on the 12th and 13th Dec 2012.

A special thanks to Prof. Alito Siqueira from Department of Sociology Goa
University, Harriet Vidyasagar from OLPC, Prof. Gopakumar from Goa University,
Debanjan and Frederick from Wikipedia community and CIS team for making this
workshop a huge success. All efforts invested in discussions and planning the
workshop over multiple mail trails, conference calls, one-on-one calls paid off
extremely well. Over 35 participants attended the two day workshop and
throughly enjoyed the sessions.

Most of the participants had already created their usernames before the 1st
session, as it was instructed to them earlier, though there were some
participants who created their user accounts during the session. Despite
creating a ticket for releasing the IP from 7 accounts creation limit we ran
into an IP block. This was the second time we encountered such a problem and
we'll be looking closely into this matter for smooth operations going forward.

It was pre-decided by the organisers that the 1st session will be theoretical
while the 2nd session will be a complete hands-on-traning session. Hence the
1st session started with general introduction about Wikipedia, 5 pillars, how
Wikipedia works, brief about Wikipedia community, state of Wikipedia in India
etc. The following day participants pre-selected articles that they wanted to
edit during the course of the 2nd session. They were taught how to do minor
edits, add edit summary, add references, understand view history and page
statistics, importance of article and user talk pages.

The 2 day long workshop came to an end with a meeting organised by all the
participants to decide what should be their next steps. The workshop created a
lot of enthusiasm in the participants and they were already thinking how
individual students, researchers and professors will be building up pages on
Wikipedia, one page at a time. They also showed keen interest to understand how
monthly meet ups are organised in other cities so that they could also organise
meet ups in Goa starting 2013 (the proposed date as for now is 16th Jan 2013 -
also to celebrate Wikipedia's anniversary).

The feedback received from the participants was extremely positive. In the
meanwhile there have been some discussion about forthcoming workshops - we have
already received inquires from 5 more institutes to organise similar events in
Goa. It seems like the initial seeds have been sown for a flourishing Wikipedia
community in Goa.

4. Konkani in Wikipedia incubator - Taking it to the next level

An introductory session was organised in the Konkani Department at Goa
University on the 12th Dec 2012. The Konkani staff and students were
exhilarated to learn about Konkani in Wikipedia incubation. They have shown
keen interest to kick start this project and get the translations done in any
or all scripts - Devanagari, Roman, Kannada, Malayalam and Perso-Arabic for
Konkani Wikipedia.

We've been in touch with the Director of Konkani Department, Madhavi Sardesai
and we are currently discussing the possibility of organising a follow up
meeting in Jan/Feb 2013. In the meanwhile, User:Fredericknoronha, one of the
Wikimedia Incubator members contributing to Konkani Wikipedia, has been helping
us get in touch with more Konkani writers and organising a common meeting
sometime in early 2013 to take this project to the next level. To begin with,
if we can just get the translations done a lot of things will fall in place and
will also help build confidence too.

Some useful links

Konkani in Wikipedia incubator
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/gom

Some pages contributed already - much work needs to be done to improve quality
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/Wp/gom/

List of tasks as viewed by volunteers
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/gom/tasks

An example of a well-translated article, on the "Pinto's Revolt" by Isidore
Dantas
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/gom/Pintonchem_Karosthan

Picture 1:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nitika,_Harriot_and_myself_at_Goa_University_2.JPG
Picture 2:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nitika,_Harriot_and_myself_at_Goa_University.JPG

5. Promoting GLAM in Goa

We organised an introductory GLAM session at Goa State Central Library on the
13th Dec 2012. It was well attended by about 45 interested people coming from
over 10 different GLAM institutes in Goa. Nitika from CIS and Debanjan from
Pune community led the session about Wikipedia and GLAM activities that have
been undertaken by our global community since 2010. The talk instilled a lot of
enthusiasm in librarians and curators in Goa to start similar programs in their
associated institutes.

Some of the institutes attending the session were - Museum of Christian Art,
Goa Chitra, Bookworm Library, K.S. Goa State Library, GTL Bicholini, DFLG
District Library. Participants had lot of interesting questions about starting
GLAM projects in English/Marathi/Konkani, starting point of the project,
logistical/financial support required to run a GLAM project etc.

To begin with we'll be meeting Victor Hugos Gomes from Goa Chitra who has shown
keen interest to start a GLAM project. Goa Chitra showcases the rich tradition
of implements, tools, arts and crafts. Goa Chitra has archived Goa's cultural
heritage through documents, books, photographs, handcrafts, electronic
recordings, costumes, musical instruments, artifacts. In the coming weeks we'll
be following up with Goa Chitra and more institutions to figure out the
possibility of starting new projects in 2013.

Here's an audio recording of the entire event:
http://archive.org/details/GlamInGoa

Picture 1:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lecture_Central_Library_Goa_15.JPG
Picture 2:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lecture_Central_Library_Goa_14.JPG

6. Wikipedia event at St. Xavier's College, Goa
A three hour workshop was organised in the morning of 14th Dec 2012 at St.
Xavier's College, Goa. Over 30 participants attended the session. The workshop
started with a short introductory presentation followed by learning how to edit
Wikipedia. Since there were lesser number of computers participants were
divided in groups of 2 or 3 maximum. Each group made at least 3 edits with the
help of volunteers present in the room. A follow up session will be organised
in Jan/Feb 2013 to organise an edit-a-thon for all the interested and
enthusiastic participants.

A special thanks to everyone who helped organising this event - Harriet
Vidyasagar, Frederick, Debanjan - all from Wikipedia family and Nitin
Volvoikar, Head of Journalism from St. Xavier's.

Picture 1:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Editing_at_Xavier%27s_Mapusa_2.JPG
Picture 2:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Editing_at_Xavier%27s_Mapusa_3.JPG