Interesting new metric, Arjun. Although, like you said, it's difficult to
capture "the health and vitality" of a wiki in a single metric. Apart from
external factors, I'd consider the following to have an influence on the path
any wiki takes:

1. The seed community - typically small wikis start with just one motivated
editor. If that person puts the wiki above themselves, it helps in attracting
other motivated editors. [We were extremely lucky to have the visionary and
unassuming Mayooranathan as our first active editor.] And then the first few
active editors (six if I have to put a number to it) set the culture for
generations to come. If they truly got the wiki philosophy and are committed to
open knowledge in their mother tongues, then the wiki's safely out of stunted
growth path. If there's diversity at that stage, it helps a lot.

2. Organic vs inorganic growth: wikis that use inorganic means like bots and
automated translation cautiously and with an intent to drive organic growth
further will have "durable growth." Part of the reason for the success (so far)
of Tamil and Malayalam wikis is that. Bangla (for example) seems to be taking
that choice. Other wikis may be on the right track, but I might not know.

Beyond these, relative growth rates of various wikis would depend on the
external factors. It'll be nice to have a few case studies done by editors of
their respective wikis along the lines of http://ta.wikipedia.org/s/bs8 will
help us identify patterns. We can do number crunching at a higher level, but
I'm sure editors of any wiki would have some special insider insights to share.

- Sundar

>________________________________

  • ... sankarshan
    • ... Arjuna Rao Chavala
      • ... Ravishankar
        • ... Arjuna Rao Chavala
      • ... Arjuna Rao Chavala
        • ... Vickram Crishna
          • ... Arjuna Rao Chavala
            • ... Ramesh N G
              • ... BalaSundaraRaman
  • ... Frederick FN Noronha * फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या * فريدريك نورونيا
  • ... BalaSundaraRaman