2013/1/23 Vickram Crishna <vvcris...@radiophony.com>

> On Jan 23, 2013 11:58 AM, "Arjuna Rao Chavala" <arjunar...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Rather than just the views, we need to look at the value felt by the
> viewers (may be by an annual survey) as a measure of the impact of
> Wikipedia's mission.

--cut--

> That is a very challenging thought, Arjuna. Online surveys are potentially
> quite weak, as evidenced by the Facebook voting process (for policy
> changes, not the Facebook 'like' feature, whose purpose itself is full of
> questions).
>
> A possibility may be a continuous rating system, with radio buttons on
> each page, visible to logged in users (?), or actionable only by logged in
> users, rather than an optionable survey on some other page. I see
> difficulties with this as well, mind you, but throw it out as a suggestion.
>
> On the plus side, adding such user-involving features may be a way to
> bring in more 'mature' community involvement in knowledge creation and
> dissemination. I am often struck by the manner in which some relatively
> half-baked 'improvement' gets to be quite popular while worthwhile
> technology lies unused. 'The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But
> in ourselves, that we are underlings', said the poet, but I hope we are
> part of the solution, not content to remain the problem.

Article feedback
tool<http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/12/20/article-feedback-new-research-and-next-steps/>currently
in beta could be the impact metric that may be suitable for this
purpose.

> Somewhere in the future, I see some kind of 'sharing' as a possibility,
> whereby individuals who have common interests can actively and dynamically
> connect through wikipedia pages. That might throw up an interesting metric
> as well.

I understand that part of the plans for Wikipedia is  to make it more
social.

Cheers
Arjuna
  • ... Arjuna Rao Chavala
    • ... sankarshan
      • ... Arjuna Rao Chavala
        • ... Ravishankar
          • ... Arjuna Rao Chavala
        • ... Arjuna Rao Chavala
          • ... Vickram Crishna
            • ... Arjuna Rao Chavala
              • ... Ramesh N G
                • ... BalaSundaraRaman
    • ... Frederick FN Noronha * फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या * فريدريك نورونيا
    • ... BalaSundaraRaman