On Feb 2, 2013 7:22 PM, "Abhishek Suryawanshi" <
i.abhishek.suryawan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why there is 18 age limit to become member of Wikimedia India Chapter?

Dear Abhishek,

I can take that query as one of the folks involved in preparing and
debating the original MOA clauses of the chapter.

The original intent was to keep membership criteria as open as possible -
age,  citizenship,  etc.
However the advise of the consultant who helped us with the society
registration was to limit membership to adults  and indian citizens based
on their  prior experience with getting these registrations through
quickly.  We were advised that we could later seek permissions for the
above if the authorities so permitted.

Not with standing these limitations it took the lot of meetings with
authorities to get the formal registration through.  I have attended many
of these meetings to get due clearance.

Hope that clarifies your query.

Regards
Arun

> Regards,
> Abhishek Suryawanshi,
> On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune

> Srikanth Ramakrishnan
> srik.ramk at wikimedia.in
>

> Due to legal restrictions only an Indian citizen can become a member of
the
> Chapter.
> When I mentioned it is easy to become a member, I meant for Indian
citizens.

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) <
> smazeland at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
> > srik.ramk at wikimedia.in> wrote:
> >
> >> Becoming a member is pretty easy. It costs INR 100 to join and
requires a
> >> single form to be filled and sent across.
> >

> > Actually, it isn't. As Bence is not an Indian citizen over 18 or an
Indian