I want to clarify background about age query :

Regarding age limit - There were many queries from college students (around
15 to 17 years old) about joining Chapter - after inspiring talk by His
Highness Sudhanwa Joglekar (President, Wikimedia India Chapter). It was
decent talk at Club event about ''why someone should join Wikimedia India
Chapter'' .. It would add impact if Chapter talks/presentations end up with
distribution of membership forms. Thanks to him for inspiring below 18
years kids to join Wikimedia India Chapter.

When we told them it is only for 18+, first question they asked - 'Is it
adult censored organization?'

I was a wikipedian first and then became a chapter member, could not renew
> my membership and renewed membership recently and still a wikipedian.

I love your passion, Good to know irrespective membership you 'are' and
will be always a Wikipedian...Apart from this -
Lets overcome problems which you had, why you were unable to renew your
membership?
I hope problem was different than submitting birth-certificate to prove you
are 18+

*Chapter is to support the communities and not to create members.
> *

 *
*
*Chapter is there is support to community *is controversial part - lets
keep that aside.
Members are essential to make sure Chapter is there to support community.
Chapter is facilitated by members. So if Chapter is putting up efforts to
'create' members - its justifiable. Hope so they do it better by having
smooth membership registration/renewal process.

*I'd like to ask what are the benefits for a foreign national to be part of
> Wikimedia India (which is a country specific chapter) where he/she can be a
> member of his/her own country?
> *

Along with uninvited foreign money transfer problems - it might give
Chapter new direction and new perspective.
And whats harm in having foreign national as member?

and Congrats on Membership renewal. Now you are 'certified (18+) Member' as
well as (Indian) Wikipedian. ;)

Regards,

Abhishek Suryawanshi,
On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune