Hello, Niraj.

To clarify, Wikimedia India, and indeed any other group or individual
Wikimedian in India, _is_ eligible for funding from the Wikimedia
Foundation, via 3 different grant programs, described here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Start

There exists a fourth funding model which offers less restricted funds to
affiliated entities that meet other, more stringent, eligibility standards,
called the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) process.  You can read all
about it at the FDC portal[1], and specifically about the eligibility
criteria for the FDC[2].  At the moment, Wikimedia India does not meet all
of the criteria.  It is likely that it _will_ by the next round of funding
(not the one currently underway), later this year.

So no one has "withdrawn financial support" from India at all.

Indeed, Wikimedia India has lately been discussing with the Foundation its
intent to submit two new grant proposals to the Wikimedia Grants Program
(that I manage), and I personally encouraged them to do so.

I encourage you (and anyone reading this) to read the information pages on
WMF's various funding models, starting with the link above.

Cheers,

   Asaf Bartov
   Wikimedia Foundation

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal
[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal/Eligibility_criteria

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Niraj Suryawanshi <
niraj.suryawan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Well this initiative is a good one, off-course we here in India do the
> fundraising, would help the whole movement for sure!
> But the India Chapter is INELIGIBLE! hits me bad, "INELIGIBLE"? what does
> that mean?!
> I would be glad to know about the same.
>

> -----
> Regards & Thanks,