Hi Niraj,
Thanks for engaging with this difficult question. I think we may have to
look at sizeable populations speaking a certain language while deciding how
to classify where it is spoken. I was surprised to see your remark that
Dravidian languages are spoken in Pakistan. I was not aware of this fact,
and would like to know if it is the odd speaker who happens to live or work
there, or there are good-sized populations speaking Kannada or Telugu for
example.

As for your suggestion about a combination name like Indic-Dravidian, that
still falls into the philological problems that using 'Indic' alone
does,and doesn't necessarily make the term more inclusive.

So I think we will have to keep discussing this issue for some more time!

Tejaswini

On 11 February 2013 13:59, Niraj Suryawanshi <niraj.suryawan...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Mam,
>
> I understand & appreciate the depth of thought process and inputs put
> behind
> this question about use of words "*Indian*" or "*Indic*". I'm very much
> convinced since all the languages we are considering belong to different
> classes and categories, geographically and origin wise too, and needs to be
> labeled under a common name!
>
> But if we consider the label Indian languages, which specifies the origin
> and use of the same in India, there are many languages which are
> predominantly used not only in India but also in the other surrounding
> counties eg. Bangla (Indic Language, Indo-Aryan) which is used in India,
> Bangladesh & Burma.
> And many other Dravidian Languages which are thought to be specifically
> South Indian languages are used in neighboring eastern countries like
> Pakistan too.
>
> This question will arise every time when we have to specify "Indian
> Language" or "Indic Languages" for any given reason.
>
> How about the combination of names of both different language families so
> that the language set wont be distributed with respect to the current
> territorial boundaries but with regards to their origin and a proper
> classification depending upon the origin/birth. viz "*Indic - Dravidian
> Languages*"
>
> This was my personal view over the query, you can always correct me if I'm
> misleading.
>

> -----
> Regards & Thanks,
>
> Niraj Suryawanshi
> on behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune
> +91 814 992 0120 | niraj.suryawan...@gmail.com

Tejaswini Niranjana, PhD
Lead Researcher - Higher Education Innovation and Research Applications
(HEIRA)
Senior Fellow - Centre for the Study of Culture and Society (CSCS)
Visiting Professor - Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS)
Visiting Faculty - Centre for Contemporary Studies, Indian Institute
of Science (CCS-IISc)

t: 91-80-26730476, 26730967, 26730268
f: 91-80-26730722
http://heira.in