It is by 1877 that the Europeans started studying and classifying the
scripts of oriental languages especially, South Asian and East Asian.

Probably Holle did the first attempt of cataloging the Sanskrit and its
apparently descending languages within the Indian subcontinent and beyond.

Please see this informative document which also points to the changes that
may have occurred to these scripts due to social reasons.

http://home.gwu.edu/~kuipers/kuipers%20insular%20seasia%20scripts.pdf

-Viswam