From: i.abhishek.suryawan...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:46:41 +0530
To: wikimedia-in-e...@lists.wikimedia.org
CC: wmin-memb...@googlegroups.com; wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: [Wikimediaindia-l] Chapter Misleading Community!

Dear Executive Committee,
Wikimedia India Chapter.

Could you be please be kind enough to clarify, Why EC was/is interested in
misguiding mailing list and Indian community?

When asked about CIS funding - Executive Committee member wrote :

The Chapter has alwaya made things public and will xontinue to do so. If the
CIS funds us, it will be madw public.

Then why weren't they made public by you? CIS clearly stated - they are funding
Chapter, and in past (also) they have supported in-kind.

Why is the hesitation for acknowledging
this? On the contrary - there is strong rejection of even having any
kind of connection with CIS from Chapter representatives. (On the other
hand CIS is graciously open/alright to acknowledge links with the
Chapter)

On A Query about CIS funding Chapter Flight Tickets : Response from Secretary
was-

.....making unsubstantiated claims on a public mailing list,

Which part was unsubstantiated?  Its the reality that this time Chapter Board
Member's Flight tickets ARE covered by CIS even if it includes training the A2K
team.

(CIS has already made it clear on this mailing list)

Why there is hesitation/resistance to have transparency?

Also, the Chapter President gave statement on same thread -

Please be open and transparent to the

community. The more you become transparent, it is better for all.

Are Chapter EC Members  exception to this?

On same lines, Another EC Members says -

 The Chapter is financially accountable to it's MEMBERS,

As correctly stated by , Chapter is having money from WMF, Which comes from
individual donations. So ideally

Chapter should be accountable to the overall community and not just its
members, as rightly pointed out by someone

Again, What is the need to find excuses for transparency?

When
 there was statement that ''AGM travel expense is covered'' instead of
correcting statement and saying, its wrong - and CIS is paying for Board
 Trip (which is coinciding with CIS training!)

Even
 Chapter President preferred to give out half truth and kept everyone in
 dark. And there was Secretary and another EC Member to take whole
mailing list on a ride!

Why it is important?

This could be start of new era - Where CIS supports Chapter financially
whenever needed.
(or in-kind as they did in past and hopefully will continue to do so).

So more and more volunteer efforts can be devoted for outreach/activities.

Please remember that chapter is representation of the community and

works for the community

Current scenario gives wrong interpretation
and implies that community should not raise questions on transparency
because after-all we are your  representation! Either consult community
before lying or speak (complete) truth.

Here is response from Sunil,CIS -

This month, we are reimbursing the Chapter EC travel and related

expenses because the Chapter EC has kindly consented to support a

training programme that CIS is organising for it's A2K team in

Bangalore. It is only happy coincidence that they were also organising

a meeting in Bangalore during those dates. I was not aware of this

when I reached out to the EC and asked for their support us.

>From Sunil's mail it is clear that Sunil
extended the offer in good-faith, unaware of Chapter-Board meeting
falling at the same time. However Chapter also seems to have taken this
opportunity and is now shy to accept. I don't understand why?

And why CIS was also kept in dark?

CIS will cover air travel and accommodation for all EC members. CIS will

also provide per diem for meals that are not provided during the

training. Unfortunately, we don't have a separate budget for fees.

Along with 'air Travel', CIS is providing accommodation too.

And Last sentence about fee budget is interesting.

If Chapter is expecting public support for fundraising and other
activities, then it should be more transparent and 'should avoid
organized and dedicated efforts to misguide community/keep in dark.'

And Hope so CIS takes care of all the  remaining Chapter financial needs as
well, Just keep community in loop. And Thanks to Sunil/ CIS for being
transparent and open.

Keep Clarifying, Keep Inspiring!

-Abhishek Suryawanshi,
On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune