Konkani belongs to somewhat a unique class of Wikimedia languages where
many scripts may be used for the same content. Not exclusive, this list
includes at least English, Devanagari, Kannada and Malayalam.

The ideal goal in the case of a Konkani Wikimedia project is to have an
input system in any script from the above set as the user prefers and then
also to render the output in any script from the above set. The content
itself may be stored in some particular script or code space.

If I remember correctly, there have been several discussions in possible
techniques and tools to enable such a feature. Amir (Amir Elisha Aharoni ·
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי), Shiju Alex or Santhosh Thottingal may be able
to enlighten us more about this.

This may also be the case for Sanskrit, as Sanskrit used to be scribed in
different scripts (other than just in devanagari) in different regions.
Perhaps, we should even have a Harward-Kyoto transliterated version for
Sanskrit.

On an even more ambitious scale, I dream about each Indic language being
available for input and output in every other Indic scripts. (Imagine
someone in Kerala trying to read and practice a Bengali poem without having
to know the Bengali script itself, and vice versa.)

-Viswam

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Tejaswini Niranjana <t...@cscs.res.in>wrote:

> Dear Frederick,
> It's nice to see your signature in several Indian languages!
>
> Wanted to know which script Konkani wikipedia is planning to use,
> Devanagari or Kannada or both? It would be good if you could throw some
> light on comparative statistics regarding how many Konkani speakers use
> which script.
>
> Thanks,
> Tejaswini
>
> On 11 March 2013 02:37, Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك
> نورونيا <fredericknoro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all:
>>
>> Konkani Wikipedia [http://bit.ly/14bTwAi] is in its incubation stage. We
>> would like to attempt to scale it up. Can someone point me to the essential
>> messages that need to be translated (into Konkani), as I could try to get
>> help to get those done.
>>
>> Thanks in advance, FN
>>
>> Frederick Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या ಫ್ರೆದೆರಿಕ್ ನರನ್ಯಾ ഫ്രെദെരിക് നരന്യാ
>> فريدريك نورونيا
>>
>> FN +91-832-2409490 or +91-9822122436 f...@goa-india.org
>> Audio recordings (mostly from Goa): http://bit.ly/GoaRecordings
>> Goa,1556
>> http://www.scribd.com/doc/76671049/Goa1556-Catalogue-Books-from-Goa

> Tejaswini Niranjana, PhD
> Lead Researcher - Higher Education Innovation and Research Applications
> (HEIRA)
> Senior Fellow - Centre for the Study of Culture and Society (CSCS)
> Visiting Professor - Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS)
> Visiting Faculty - Centre for Contemporary Studies, Indian Institute
> of Science (CCS-IISc)
>
> t: 91-80-26730476, 26730967, 26730268
> f: 91-80-26730722
> http://heira.in
> www.cscs.res.in
  • ... Santhosh Thottingal
    • ... Vishnu t
    • ... വിശ്വപ്രഭ
      • ... Tejaswini Niranjana
        • ... sankarshan
          • ... Vishnu t
            • ... വിശ്വപ്രഭ
            • ... Pavanaja U B
              • ... sankarshan
                • ... Pavanaja U B
                • ... sankarshan
                • ... Anivar Aravind
    • ... Frederick FN Noronha * फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या * فريدريك نورونيا