Hi
Thanks for sharing this article. Though I am not sure if this is the best
forum to pursue this discussion, I risk being a spammer for being ignorant.
[?]

Any attempt to give a greater importance to English language in India never
fails to evoke massive opposition and criticism. As the former UGC chairman
Arun S. Nigavekar (who headed the committee of experts which gave the
recommendations) said, these changes were made to meet the qualities a
21st-century civil servant should possess to deal with the multidimensional
challenges of the present-day world [1], and I think, proficiency in
English is very important to achieve this goal. Now, we cannot feign
ignorance to the increasing role English plays in effective dispensation of
administrative duties of a civil servant. Nor can we ignore its importance
in pursuing India's global interests. For me, English is a great unifying
force in India, given its vast linguistic diversity, which enables
discussions and effective communication with my fellow countrymen, from
Kashmir to Kanyakumari, as if they were my next door neighbours. While the
UPSC's decision to restrict choosing a regional language optional to only
those who have pursued it as his/her bachelors degree subject may be a bit
far-fetched, I think the medium of writing other papers, like general
studies and essays, needs to be made in English.

Please correct me if I am being blind-sided in my views.

[1]
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/new-upsc-rules-were-to-test-communication-skills/article4516573.ece

Thanks and regards,

--
Basil George.
http://researchweb.iiit.ac.in/~basil.george/

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Tejaswini Niranjana <t...@cscs.res.in>wrote:

> http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/how-upsc-got-its-english-wrong/article4519242.ece?homepage=true
>
> --
> Tejaswini Niranjana, PhD
> Lead Researcher - Higher Education Innovation and Research Applications
> (HEIRA)
> Senior Fellow - Centre for the Study of Culture and Society (CSCS)
> Visiting Professor - Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS)
> Visiting Faculty - Centre for Contemporary Studies, Indian Institute
> of Science (CCS-IISc)
>
> t: 91-80-26730476, 26730967, 26730268
> f: 91-80-26730722
> http://heira.in