I totally agree with Sumana. Try to edit something on wiki so that you can
also think that this facility must be there and watch village pump for
problems and try to solve that. Since I am contributing in Gujarati
wikipedia I have already localized and ported some of essential gadgets
that any language wiki must have like HotCat. Bot is also very useful tool.
Since I have created some bot scripts for gu wiki for automate the tasks
like placing infobox, grammar correction etc.

According to me mediawiki gadget kitchen is very easy thing to start. I
have already developed half tutorial for new coders. I will complete it
after my examination. Its very interesting stuff and it uses js, css :)
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gadget_kitchen

If you want any kind of information/help regarding to gadgets, bots,
extension I can help you :)

Happy Coding

Thanks
Harsh

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <suma...@wikimedia.org
> wrote:

> Harsh wrote:
>
> > Hopefully you all have subscribed mediawiki-india list. Since we all are
> > technical contributors. We can fix the bugs of local wikis like gu wiki,
> hi
> > wiki etc. We can localize and port some gadgets on local wikis as well.
> > Also can develop some new feature that particular community wants. We can
> > also start some regular activity to boost technical community across
> India.
> > How we can grow technical community? Ideas are welcomed. Since we all are
> > from different states. It is very useful to grow technical activities
> > across India as well as to find new contributors.
>
> Here are some tutorials that coders could teach:
>
> http://wiki.wikimedia.in/MediaWiki_Workshop
>
> Here are some instructions regarding documenting, localising and porting
> templates and gadgets:
>
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/mediawiki/4/49/Extension_cite.pdf
>

> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/mediawiki/2/2d/Documenting_noteworthy_local_templates.pdf
>
> According to Arjuna Rao Chavala,
>
> https://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Essentials_for_Nurturing_Small_Wikis
> it's really helpful to smaller Wikipedias to help them adopt tools like
> HotCat and Twinkle and bots.  So that's something Indian technical
> contributors could work on.
>
> I have a suggestion:
>
> And whatever languages you feel comfortable with, try making some small
> improvements to a few pages for wikis in those languages -- Tamil
> Wiktionary, Kannada Wikisource, Hindi Wikiquote, Bengali Wikipedia, and
> so on.  And then look at the wiki's village pump, watering hole,
> scriptorium, or other community discussion forum.  It's always nice to
> have a bit of direct experience and observation.
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Engineering Community Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation