Hi all,
       I am working on a personal Wikipedia project aimed at getting more
images of Notable Indians into Wikipedia & Wikimedia Commons.

I am calling it "Improve Indian Biography Images Project" for now...

( I know that it is a very boring title.. But if you want to suggest better
names, do help me :) )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tinucherian/Improve_Indian_Biography_Images_Project

The strategy is to use your influences to persuade people to donate their
images to Wikipedia/Creative Commons.

The result , in my opinion, would be
1) Better images of Notable Indians & celebrities to Wikipedia and
Wikimedia Commons.
2) Improve the awareness of releasing the images to free licenses and
Creative Commons.

There are already  two successes:

    Ashwin Sanghi <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashwin_Sanghi>, author —
Persuaded to change licenses of the images on Flickr to CC by SA. Uploaded
to Wikimedia Commons with Flickr Bot
    Amish Tripathi <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_Tripathi>, author —
Released 4 images on CC by SA by email. Uploaded to Wikimedia Commons .
OTRS pending

I am already in talks with several others.

One of the my learning from this exercise is that, while the celebrity
might hold the copyrights of the images technically , it is also important
to get signed consent of the actual photographer for transfer of  the
rights, if you are going via the OTRS route..

If someone instructs or pays another to take his photo, who holds the
copyright? the photographer or the subject?

In legal terms, it is always the photographer who is the copyright owner.
The photographer should transfer the copyright by a contract or written
terms if the subject needs to have the copyright. In most cases, it sound
stupid, but that's how the law is written.  ( Thanks to User:Sreejithk2000
for this gyan)

Thoughts?

Regards
Tinu Cherian