On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM, Arjuna Rao Chavala
<arjunar...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> 2013/7/26 Karthik Nadar <karthik...@wikimedia.in>
>
>> Dear Wikimedians,
>>
>> thanking the Wikimedia Foundation for deploying Wikipedia Zero in India
>> in association with Aircel, I was surprised to see that
>>
>>    - #IWikiWhen <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23IWikiWhen&src=tren> was
>>    trending in Twitter India and Mumbai trend-lists.
>>

>> That is because Aircel India is running a contest asking their fans for
>> the "reason they wiki", and I can see that it has actually worked. They are
>> giving away HTC One X Phone.[1] Would request everyone to take this up and
>> tweet about Wikipedia (you can also participate :D)!! People will be
>> looking at the trending hashtags! :D
>>

>>    1. https://twitter.com/Aircel/status/360361785104166912
>>

>> Nice promotion from Aircel.
> It was surprise for me also. I wish the interaction between WMF and
> Chapter can be improved so that more chapter members and community can
> support India initiatives better.

Hi Arunja,

We're glad to see this promotion from Airtel as well. They ran a few
marketing ideas by us before the launch but we weren't aware of this one in
advance; we found out the same time as everyone else. We don't have the
available staff to work with Airtel on these promotions so we rely on them,
as we do with other partners, to run many of them at their own discretion.
I also believe it would be great if WMF could coordinate with the chapters
more but we'll need additional resources to do so. It's definitely worth
talking about...

Kul

--
Kul Wadhwa