Unlike what developers believe, I think this is where webfonts can be applicable.

On Wednesday 31 July 2013 11:54 AM, Vishnu t wrote:
Yes Bishakha. Konkani is one of the few languages in India that has the Script controversy. In fact it also makes it a huge challenge to develop Konkani Wikipedia.

We have discussed some of these aspects in our Konkani Wikipedia work-plan [1]. Also recently during our (CISA2K) visit to Goa almost everyone wanted to know how Wikipedia could address this issue? For instance, see the Herald - Goa newspaper on Konkani Wikipedia [2]. On the same list a while ago, Santhosh Thottingal pointed to a very useful solution, Automatic conversion in Konkani Language, that he proposed sometime ago [3].

We are hoping to build a Konkani Wikipedia community first in the coming months, who could then arrive at a solution and work with the WMF Language Engineering Team. It will be a fascinating cultural-historical problem to look at how it gets addressed on an Open Knowledge platform like the Wikipedia.

Best,
Vishnu

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Access_To_Knowledge/Work_plan_April_2013_-_June_2014/Konkani

[2] http://www.epaperoheraldo.in/Details.aspx?id=10085&boxid=173254781&uid&dat=7%2F28%2F2013