Whether to OCR or not to OCR is a significant issue! When we OCR a page of
text, the resultant is often error-prone, lost formatting, and the
correction requires crowd-sourced correction. Many of us know about Project
Gutenberg. The site provides plain vanilla etexts. But what most people do
not know that one of the very first crowd-sourcing initiatives -
"Distributed Proof-readers" provides a huge volunteer community correcting
OCR pages of text submitted to Project Gutenberg. In fact, I was a
Distributed Proofreader before coming to Wikipedia and that was my first
crowd-sourced experience.

http://www.pgdp.net/c/

I've also done digitisation in a government archive for five years. We took
a conscious decision to OCR the text and allow the uncorrected layer to
exist rather than take the pains to correct it. The material was used so
infrequently, it made good sense for the end-user to proof-read himself
should he desire to do so. So the real challenge in digitisation is not
OCR, or rather, not just OCR but the creation of an error-free proof-read
text layer behind the pdf/other formatted archive document.

Ashwin Baindur

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur