Thanks for the clarification, Michelle and for the follow-up Pranav.

- Sundar

________________________________
 From: Pranav Curumsey <pra...@wikimedia.in>
To: Discussion list on Indian language projects of Wikimedia.
<wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Cc: mpaul...@wikimedia.org
Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Licence violation

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michelle Paulson <mpaul...@wikimedia.org>
Date: Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Yes, we actually cracked down on them 2 years ago from not making it clear that
the content was from Wikipedia.  They have since changed their ways and have it
clearly stated in the "Overview" section and properly attributed the Wikipedia
contributors involved in the book.  We looked into how they could change the
"Authors" section, but the online sellers' platforms they were using (such as
Barnes and Noble) don't permit more than a few names, which makes listing all
of the contributors impossible and we didn't want them to say that Wikipedia
was the author because that erroneously makes people think that they books were
sponsored or introduced by WMF or the contributors involved, neither of which
is true.

Additionally, we do not believe that not listing the contributors under the
"Author" section online is necessarily a violation of the license.  However,
not listing them in the book, where the content actually is reproduced, was and
they have since corrected that to the best of my knowledge.

Hope that helps clear things up!

-Michelle

--

Michelle Paulson
Legal Counsel

415.882.0495 (Fax)

NOTICE: This message might have confidential or legally privileged information
in it. If you have received this message by accident, please delete it
and let us know about the mistake. For legal reasons, I may only serve as an
attorney for
the Wikimedia Foundation. This means I may not give legal advice to or serve as
a lawyer for community members, volunteers, or staff members in their
personalcapacity.