I am responding here this once, from now ahead please post your comments on
the chapter wiki so we dont spam peoples inboxes.

Abhijith, I think I answer most of your points here. The one about FCRA, we
have prior permission upto $100k. Next Jan we complete 3 years and we can
apply for a prior permission waiver. This has been taken into
consideration.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Ashwin Baindur <ashwin.bain...@gmail.com>wrote:

> There is a very serious amount of money being spent on bureaucratic
> necessities & indeed very little on community activities.

About 70% of the annual plan roughly is programmatic activities. This is in
line with good NGO standards where admin activities are kept under 1/3rd of
the cost.

> For example, why do 6 people need to go for Wikimania & Chapters
> conference?

Earlier years 2 board members have been attending chapcon which WMF funded.
We are adding the chief employee as this is an excellent opportunity to
interact with the larger movement, learn from others and collaborate. I
think almost all chapters having employees do this. Same with Wikimania. We
need to remember we are a global movement and this interaction is extremely
important. Even A2K sent 2 employees to Wikimania last month. Its only
because we cannot ask for any separate program funding that its now
included here.

> You have asked for money for 3 regional & 1 national conference. Does
> anyone actually believe that the Chapter has the wherewithal to
> organise/conduct 4 conferences in a year? Add to that x number of academies
> & one devcamp. Plus a whopping Rs 6 lakhs for Wiki Loves India/Monuments.

This year there have been two conferences - Telugu and Tamil.  We planned
for 3 keeping in mind next year Bangla Wikipedia completes 10 years, the
Gender Gap SIG put up some request and Im sure atleast one other community
will have a regional event - that makes 3. Next year will be 3 years since
the last national event, we feel it is time for another national event,
maybe not as large as the last one but large enough to be a catalyst for
the movements next step forward in India. 12 academies which cost money
(apart from those to which there is no cost) - we did 15 academies last
year, you still think its too much? Devcamp - our commitment to do a tech
related event, some members have been requesting this. We will have 3
employees who will support all this.

There are also a huge grey areas - Event Participation, Unspecified general
> events.

Event participation is for external events, more of networking and building
chapter profile, making people aware we are around. Last year we
participated in a FICCI event as well as The Fifth Elephant. I'm sure your
well aware we cannot plan for everything so we need a general budget for
events which spring up in different parts of our diverse country.

> The amt 150,000 $ is not at all small. This is an extravagant budget and
> needs pruning down in the issues mentioned above & more allocation to
> activities & communities. My suggestion is to keep it much smaller but
> doable. Such huge amts demanded without any clear cut idea of whats to
> happen will only lead to non-utilisation at best & misuse at worst. Dont
> bite off more than you can chew!

I respectfully disagree. Unlike most other chapters, WMIN caters to 40+
language communities, including incubators. Have a look at suggestions from
various communities, people are raring to go. We will do all we can to
support them. We have carefully considered the figure so as to make sure we
are not growing too fast. In the last two years we have received WMF grants
of aprox $80,000 in total apart from local funding. No doubt this is a big
leap, however we need to take this big leap in order to set up our own
office, become more professional and  live up to community expectations.
The office is not being added just for adding admin expenses but so that
the community benefits by its support.