Indeed, paying more salary is “one” way of making that possible.

To me, it is more than a technical decision. Going for (in my opinion) such a
high salary reflects a “choice” by the decision-makers to adopt this particular
way of achieving the goals. Now, this is for me in complete contrast to how the
wikipedia movement itself works. For a community that is NOT built on achieving
competitiveness and quality by paying money, why should the foundation “choose”
to take that route to achieve the goals. I am certainly not arguing that the
volunteerism should guide such strategic policy initiatives. But, certainly the
choices made in the way these policy initiatives are structured should not in
reverse affect the “culture” of contribution in the community. If at all, it
should inspire it more. And paying this kind of salaries is certainly not in
line with the way the community has been evolving.

Regards,
Prashanth
Disclaimer: My thoughts, although immediately following Gautam John’s response
is not a reaction to his mail, although I begin with responding to a part of
his email.