Volunteers are equally dedicated, if not more, than paid employees.
I've known people who have traveled long distances at their own expense to
hold workshopa and other events.
Rarely have I seen a paid employee work with the same efficiency.
On May 1, 2014 1:40 AM, "Gerard Meijssen" <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hoi,
> I am saying neither. When I describe the efforts by the paid staff of the
> Dutch chapter, I find that they are really dedicated and deal with complex
> issues where many people and organisations are involved. It takes a deep
> understanding and availability in time and is very much supportive of what
> the volunteers do.
>
> This does not detract from the volunteers one bit, they are in fact
> supported by the efforts from the Dutch chapter. The efforts by the paid
> staff is very much concentrated on the things that the volunteers do not
> take up. Consequently things get done and, that is what counts.
>
> The volunteers are very dedicated in the things they do. The Dutch
> volunteers brought you "Wiki loves monuments" for instance :)
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
>
> On 30 April 2014 21:53, Karthik Nadar <karthik...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gerard,
>>
>>
>>> "/ It takes a full time effort of very dedicated people."
>>
>>
>> I understand two points from this: 1. Either you say that the volunteer
>> community here is not dedicated?? 2. Or either the paid community is not
>> dedicated.
>>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm, that's because you are going
>> off-topic.
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Karthik Nadar.
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Gerard Meijssen <
>> gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ravi,
>>> When I observe the activities of the Dutch chapter I find that they take
>>> up things that volunteers are not able to.  They are things that are often
>>> complex and take a large network. What the Dutch chapter does for GLAM is
>>> much more than reaching out to individual GLAM institutions. It takes a
>>> full time effort of very dedicated people.
>>>
>>> Your assumption that it is about building a better Wikipedia indicates
>>> to me how limited your notion is about what it takes to "share in the sum
>>> of all knowledge".
>>>
>>> I do not know CIS enough to categorically state that they are in the
>>> same league. What I have seen is however encouraging. What I do know and I
>>> said it before, the challenges to bring the sum of all knowledge to India
>>> is overwhelming. The biggest challenge apparently is people.
>>> Thanks,
>>>       GerardM
>>>
>>>
>>> On 30 April 2014 10:02, Ravishankar <ravidre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Vishnu,
>>>>
>>>> Volunteers come and volunteers go. That is the nature of the movement.
>>>>
>>>> Do you propose to build a better Wikipedia with paid staff?
>>>>
>>>> Please try.
>>>>
>>>> Ravi
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
>>>> Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>>>> To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit
>>>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
>>> Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>>> To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit
>>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
>> Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>> To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
> Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit 
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l

Reply via email to