Hi all, I have one important question here.
The Foreign Contribution Regulatory Act prohibits money received from
abroad to be used as payments or salaries to anyone employed with the press
or media.
I believe Dr. Pavanaja is a columnist for Prajavani. How does this work out?
It's just a preemptive question.

On 12 May 2014 17:45, Hari Prasad Nadig <hpna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fellow Wikimedians,
>
> As you all know, Center for Internet and Society, Bangalore has sought
> funding of about *1.8 Crores* through the FDC process from Wikimedia
> Foundation to carry out work on seven local language projects in India that
> includes Kannada, Telugu among others. [1]
> The funds primarily cover the salaries of the people belonging to the
> CIS-A2K team among other administrative expenses and other expenses as
> outlined on their proposal page.
>
> The proposal was up for Community review and comments until April 30th and
> many have recorded their response about it [2]. Several community members
> have come forward in pointing out that the staff salaries being paid and
> that being proposed - are quite on the higher side (which is up to 2.4
> Lakhs per month per person).
>
> Apart from the concerns on extremely high salaries for Indian norms of the
> team members of CIS-A2K team, there have been some serious concerns raised
> about some apparent Conflict of Interest [3] and non-compliance with the
> local laws (mainly Karnataka Societies act and the Foreign Contribution
> Regulation Act).
>
> However, looks like the proposal has moved forward through the FDC process
> for funding despite the concerns raised and has gotten through to the next
> stage.
>
> More concerns have now been raised by several community members on the
> Staff Assessment discussion page here:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:APG/Proposals/2013-2014_round2/The_Centre_for_Internet_and_Society/Staff_proposal_assessment
>
> I invite you to participate in the discussion and help steer this in the
> right direction.
>
> [1] -
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2013-2014_round2/The_Centre_for_Internet_and_Society/Proposal_form
> [2] -
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:APG/Proposals/2013-2014_round2/The_Centre_for_Internet_and_Society/Proposal_form
> [3] -
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Access_To_Knowledge/Draft_Work_plan_July_2014_-_June_2015/Budget#Budget_as_per_Expenditure_Heads
>
> Thank you,
> --
> Hari Prasad Nadig
> http://hpnadig.net
> http://twitter.com/hpnadig
> http://flickr.com/hpnadig

Srikanth Ramakrishnan,
What goes around, may not necessarily come around, it may simply bounce
back.

Please sign this petition for Volvo buses in Coimbatore:
https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitions/the-transport-minister-tamil-nadu-introduction-of-volvo-city-buses-in-the-city-of-coimbatore