Hi Viswa,

Adding to HPN's mail

>>3. Why should mails go selectively passed and selectively discarded?
It is set to selectively pass only for *new members*. This is because of
high SPAs, mostly trollish in nature. Unfortunately, this setting also
applies when people send from their other email addresses (like chapter
email id / unsubscribed other email ids)

>>4. How come very stale mail messages come after almost a month, just when
they could significantly be more relevant  (or more damaging a particular
positive cause) with a changed /new scenario?
Some (or many) messages that were cleared today actually were rightfully
put on hold (either they are advertisements, troll mails, off topic mails).
But since it was not discarded and there were tonnes of such mails, I did
not look into each and just cleared all of them assuming good faith, just
by seeing name and email id of sender. Please be assured, no one has any
interest in moderating mails to support / damage any cause.

>>Can we then get a report or log of activities?
I dont think mailman offers any such provisions.

A background on moderation policy on this list, thread from 2011[1], after
which myself and Prashanth NS were added as moderators (to have someone not
from the chapter). FWIW, I was a chapter member only briefly and never
renewed my membership, so I don't have any interest in Chapter (or CIS A2K
for that matter).

FWIW, an attempt was made to have agreed mailing list guidelines, but there
was no clousure and this is not enforced. The page Mailinglist Guidelines
on chapter wiki. The problem with rules / guidelines and enforcement is
people would again complain of being strict, which is why this list is
largely unmoderated.

What is criteria for selection of moderators? How long should one be as
moderator?
Anyone who can answer mails, understands mailing list etiquettes,  has time
can be one. Few of the community members trusted us(existing mods), hence
we are mods. If the community doesn't trust we cease to be, just let us
know.

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/byq2kbzwax7xqave

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 7:54 PM, ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ) <
viswapra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With sufficient evidences, as apparent as they seem to be, I must
> introduce this issue to you all.
>
> The India mailing list is controlled by a few people, of whom no one ever
> was thinking evil. However, it is time to review and see who really
> controls this mail list!
>
> I request all recipients to wake up and ask the same questions:
>
> 1. Who all control the mail list and moderate it?
> 2. What has been the criteria of their selection? How long they should
> remain as administrators to the list?
> 3. Why should mails go selectively passed and selectively discarded?
> 4. How come very stale mail messages come after almost a month, just when
> they could significantly be more relevant  (or more damaging a particular
> positive cause) with a changed /new scenario?
>

> I propose few more 'acceptable' members are added to the admin list. And
> even to get rid of people whom the general community does not probably
> trust any more.
>
> We don't want any more vicious infestations to damage the 'India' context
> of Wikimedia cause.
>
> -Viswam

Srikanth.L