On Thursday 25 September 2014 11:19 AM, Rajesh Ranjan wrote:
On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Anivar Aravind <anivar.arav...@gmail.com <mailto:anivar.arav...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Vishnu <visdav...@gmail.com
    <mailto:visdav...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        Dear Ravi,

        On the copyright question AFAIK...  it is the manner in which
        a certain content is expressed (e.g. analyzed, compiled,
        paginated, represented, etc..) the author could claim
        copyright, as there is a certain basic amount of creative
        labour that went into it. So Govt. of Karnataka could
        rightfully copyright these works, which it has now released
        under CC-BY-SA 3.0. A useful thing to read in this context
        would be this [1].

    As Ravi pointed 11th Century Kannada literature is already public
    domain . There is no point in re-licensing it as CC-BY-SA .
    Digitization does not create fresh copyright . While thanking Govt
    for their efforts to make it available , please dont create fresh
copyright on it . And while looking at details, There was no point of time in which govt of Karanataka had copyright on this
    content .

    This effort is almost in same lines of  Open access initiative of
    rare public domain books by Kerala Sahitya academy happened almost
    same time last year
    (http://www.keralasahityaakademi.org/online_library/index.html) .
    They havnt claimed any undeserving copyright on these books . SO
    it is better if people involved canm correct Govt of Karanataka at
    this point itself showing kerala example to avoid further
    ambiguities surrounding license .

    ~ regards
    Anivar

I agree with Ravi and Anivar!

I am not an expert of licensing, but the thing that is already in public domain, licensing the same under CC-BY-SA 3.0 is one way limiting the public availability of the same content.

Rajesh and Anivar,

Purely from a copyright POV, it is important to recognize the idea - expression divide. The content per-se in this case may be public domain, but it is the expression of it that is copyrighted as I stated above. Especially, as I understand, the copyright act in India has bare minimum requirements for creative labour.

But I am willing to be better educated on this.

Cheers,
Vishnu