On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Ashwin Baindur
<ashwin.bain...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Request the views of more editors on this proposal. Guys, Santanu took
> the trouble to give us a detailed proposal, at least lets do him the
> courtesy of giving our views, whatever these may be.

I went through the proposal in small chunks primarily to think through
this. I am not an editor and so the views may or, may not be relevant.
In no particular order, here are a few comments.

[+] The proposal states "The main purpose of Wikipedia Treks Kalindi
Khal is to increase the material related to Himalayan Range with a
free license in Wikimedia Commons and improve the quality and increase
the amount of articles about diversifying Garhwal Himalayan mountain
range and other respective variety in different languages in
Wikipedia. Also to raise awareness among various community chapters,
motivate them to contribute to the Wikimedia projects and organize
this kind of trekking expedition in future."

This is in fact 3 specific objectives - (a) collect material on the
region covered by this trek; (b) generate awareness within the
chapters; (c) establish the feasibility of a similar activity by
accruing more value than consumed

[+] The proposal states "Currently this project is focused on Global
south region which will Improve editor diversity by recruiting new
editors from this particular target group."

But doesn't specifically mention the target group or, the methodology
of recruiting new editors

[+] "Trekking or hiking is extremely well liked adventure sports
through the globe and it will be enormously easier to find like-minded
open source and free knowledge organizations and initiatives with whom
we can collaborator with"

A few examples of such organizations would have been a good thing to
have at this point. Primarily to estimate the willingness of the said
organizations to contribute to knowledge under a free (or, liberal)
license. Anecdotal experience indicates that organizations have their
own rationale and quirks when engaging in collaborative ventures and
prior handshakes are required to ensure specific outcomes

[+] "This Wikipedia Treks Kalindi Khal will be the first major public
activity of its kind and will be pivotal in the increased uptake of
Wikimedia projects by the populace of the extreme lands in India."

The simplest question for this line of reasoning is "How?". "Extreme
lands" would indicate a set of constraints that are unique and perhaps
primary among those being the awareness of the utility value of
Wikipedia itself. The proposal does not go on to elaborate how it is
planned to be addressed

[+] "This team of WTM comprises total nine members; among them three
wikipedians and a female wikipedian volunteer is involved. We expect
another three non wikipedian experienced trek member to be converted
into volunteers.
After the completion of trek, there will be three edit-a-thons, for
new editors, where they will be educated with proper guidance,
follow-up and mentorship."

It would be nice to have a draft idea of what can be documented. This
can be in the form of stub pages which can be filled out later during
the edit-a-thons or, an assessment of the gaps in the existing content
around the region to be covered by the trek thus creating a handy
guide to what needs to be added. This pre-expedition exercise could
also serve as a metric of success of such ventures

[+] "Wikimedia Commons has an insignificant representation of
mountains and peaks along with the species, flora and fauna in the
complete Himalayan range. The available images are of moderate to
acceptable quality. Wikipedia Treks Kalindi Khal aims to improve the
coverage of the Himalayan range by encouraging people (including
professional photographers) to take and donate quality images under
free licenses to the Wikimedia Commons database."

The proposal does not mention whether the current team does comprise
of individuals who are proficient in skills of photography and would
contribute (not 'donate') images of higher resolution and greater
variety to Commons

[+] "Increasing Wikimedia's participation in the remotest places (Mana
Village, the last village of India) is one of the salient points of
Wikipedia Treks Kalindi Khal. Garhwal Himalaya is crucial to this
objective, as a key hub for the whole range of Himalaya. Since the
Internet penetrations in these areas are low, the end results will be
less satisfactory. Henceforth, the initial impact will increase
awareness."

And again, "How?" The proposal misses an unique opportunity to provide
creative solutions while attempting to increase awareness of Wikipedia
(and related projects) in areas that are mostly off-the-internet.
Also, if the awareness campaign is successful, what are the planned
next steps which can be looked into?

[+] "Encourage Innovation"

This specific topic could do with a revisit. The current shape of the
content does not indicate any innovating practices or, approaches.

/s

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>