Hi Joe and team,

FWIW - just wanted to share an observation made recently. I am active on
the English wikipedia mainly but I recently went out to do a workshop that
made use of the Hindi wikipedia and it was an eye-opener. Turned out that
Wikimedia Commons is impossible to use if one does not know English -
because most Indian language localizations there are incomplete and
inadequate - even the license dropdown fails to work which would lead
to *assured
deletion* of any uploads. Another interesting thing was that many people
know English and use it on their mobiles for searches. I am not sure if one
of the ideas that Malayalam wikipedians use -maintaining English language
redirects to Malayalam-titled articles has a benefit in this case. Might be
worth examining search strategies used across the country.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Shyamal/Himalayan_workshop/Report

best wishes
Shyamal

en:User:Shyamal