Greetings from CIS-A2K!

CIS-A2K is happy to announce the first of its projects for the new grant year
2017- 2018.[1]

We are kick-starting our year with the Technical Wishes project this July.[2]
We aim to receive and attempt to resolve technical requests from Indic language
Wikimedians.

What is the Technical Wishes project?

This project draws inspiration from the Technical Wishes project of Wikimedia
Deutschland that has set an example in handling technical requests from the
community and acts as an idea exchange platform for technical projects and
experts.[3] CIS-A2K aims to document the technical wishes/ requests of
community members and begin the process of resolving them.

How do we plan to go about the project?

Given the relatively small size of our organization, we aim to reach out to
technically experienced Wikipedians around the world and in India for helping
us run this project. These Wikipedians will be our go-to panel of technical
experts who help us address the requests we receive. Regular emails summarizing
the requests will be sent to these panelists who will then suggest/ offer their
solutions.

Why is this important?

Indic Wikipedias have long been plagued by technical glitches that have
hampered the ability of Wikimedians to contribute effectively across various
projects. Despite the extent of these technical issues, they have remained
largely unresolved due to a variety of reasons including the absence of
concentrated efforts to do so. CIS-A2K would like to be able to enable such an
effort, leveraging our network of community members and individuals who are
technical experts in their their own right. Apart from resolving these issues,
it is our hope that bringing to light the variety of these technical problems
would lead to discussion and idea exchanges among Indic Wikipedians regardless
of language and region.

Where do I submit my wish/ request?

Beginning Sunday 2 July, 2017 , Indic Wikimedians can submit their Technical
Wishes here:

[ https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:CIS-A2K/Requests/Technical |
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:CIS-A2K/Requests/Technical ]

There is no exhaustive list of the type of request you can submit. They may
range from tool/ gadget issues to script issues, bot errors to any bugs, etc.

Can I be a part of the Technical Wishes panel?

Yes. Apart from the initial list of Wikipedians we have identified, we invite
volunteers who would like to be a part of resolving these technical requests.
In addition to Wikipedians, we also look forward to inviting members of the
larger free knowledge movement to be a part of these efforts. To add yourself
to the panel, please write to us at t...@cis-india.org with the subject line
"CIS-A2K Technical Wishes Panel”

What is the expected outcome?

We hope to collate these requests over the course of this month and attempt to
resolve them through this network of panellists as part of our work plan for
2017- 2018.[4] We also aim to hold a community led panel to discuss the
technical problems, challenges and solutions in the context of Indic Wikimedia
communities.

Contact

For queries, please write to us at t...@cis-india.org with the subject line
"CIS-A2K Technical Wishes"

Important links

[1] CIS-A2K’s APG Proposal for the year 2017- 2018:
[
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2016-2017_round_2/The_Centre_for_Internet_and_Society/Proposal_form

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2016-2017_round_2/The_Centre_for_Internet_and_Society/Proposal_form
 ]

[2] CIS-A2K’s Technical Wishes project:
[
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CIS-A2K/Work_plan_July_2017_-_June_2018/Global_Engagement#Technical_Wishes

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CIS-A2K/Work_plan_July_2017_-_June_2018/Global_Engagement#Technical_Wishes
 ]

[3] Technical Wishes project of Wikimedia Deutschland:
[ https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes |
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes ]

[4] CIS-A2K Work Plan for 2017- 2018:

[ https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CIS-A2K/Work_plan_July_2017_-_June_2018 |