Greetings,

I am happy to announce the Featured Wikimedian for November 2017.

*Balaji Jagadesh*
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:CentralAuth/Balajijagadesh> is one
of the top contributors from the Tamil Wikimedia community. Though he
started contributing since 2009, he was quite active after his
participation in WikiConference India 2011. Initially he started
contributing to Tamil Wikipedia, but was later attracted towards Tamil
Wikisource, Tamil Wikitionary, and Wikidata. His global contributions count
to whooping 2,50,000 edits. He is an admin on Tamil Wikitionary.

After his interaction with Mr. Loganathan (User:Info-farmer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ACentralAuth&target=Info-farmer>),
Balaji was very much motivated to contribute to Wikimedia projects. He
says, "When I was editing in Tamil Wikipedia, I used to translate science
articles from English to Tamil. But faced problem in finding equivalent
Tamil words. The English to Tamil dictionaries were inadequate. Hence I
felt the need to work in the Tamil Wikitionary. After a while there was a
collaboration with Tamil Wikisource and Tamil Nadu Government through Tamil
Virtual University through 2000 CC0 books were uploaded".

As an active contributor to Wikidata, he says that the vision of Wikimedia
movement is, "Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely
share in the sum of all knowledge", but with Wikidata we can make it,
"Imagine a world in which every single human being *and every single
machine* can freely share in the sum of all knowledge". Apart from regular
contributions, he also created templates to Tamil Wikimedia projects, and
also maintains Tamil Wikisource's official Twitter handle
<https://twitter.com/tawikisource>.

Balaji hails from Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, and is a post-graduate is
Physics. He currently works as a Senior Geophysicist in Oil and Natural Gas
Corporation Limited (ONGC).

*Nominations for Featured Wikimedian can be made at:* https://goo.gl/Fpf4D2,
*or can be suggested to this email ID.*
Regards,