Why do you think you suit to be in the board of WMKE?
I have worked with Kenyan ICT communities for the last 8 years and I
believe I have the understanding needed to grow the community and also
make it stand out among other ICT communities in Kenya. I also over
the years acquired leadership qualities that will be useful to WMKE in
creating relations with institutions, NGOs, Government and other key
partners.

2. What is your take on the level of participation of members in WMKE
projects/meetings/mailing list? Anything you think should be done
differently?
So far with the little resources we have had, I would generally say we
have done quite well, to a point of becoming the second chapter in
Africa. Our participation I would say is narrow as only a few of us
start projects/ideas and the rest of the community joins in
discussion. I would say we have a balanced mailing list with one good
moderator, Abbas. What I would do differently is to do more outreaches
in institutions and forge official partnerships with language clubs
and deans to cement regular activities that we would move to make
progress in our goals. I will also further work to seek government
partnership so we are able to enable us participate in government
funded projects. My key goal is to ensure recognition of WMKE by
governmental and educational institutions.

3. As a board needs members with different skills (e.g.
administrative, financial, public relations etc), please tell us which
particular skill set have you worked in previously, like in another
society or organisation?
I am a PHP developer, a social media professional, blogger and ICT
consultant. I have worked with different organizations in different
capacities including managerial and advisory. In 2010, I headed a big
team that was responsible for drafting, executing and monitoring the
digital strategy for Tanzanian president Jakaya Kikwete which very
successfully achieved its goals. I am currently a consultant for the
government working as the Chief Public Communications Officer at the
Office of the VP and Ministry of Home Affairs and also an Advisor to
the Vice President on Digital Media and Technology.

4. Which languages have you worked in so far? And what is your
position on both a language policy and a language strategy for WMKE?
I have only worked on English, my biggest contributions are in
Commons. Kenya is rich with culture and language and I would propose
we find a way of representing all dialects spoken in Kenya eventually,
beginning with the major ones.

5. How would you best deal with the issue of editor attraction and
retention in our local chapter so as to ensure the growth of WMKE as a
whole?
One of the ways I would greatly explore is permanent partnerships with
language clubs in all major universities to ensure translations and
origination of articles. Again, relations will be key with different
civil organizations and government institutions. I will insist on
looking for partnerships that would create student competitions, road
trips, edit camps and more. I have a few ideas that I would like to
implement that would bring the numbers in the community to high levels
within a short while and involving less resources.

6. Now that we are an independent chapter, how do you plan to raise
funds supposing the parent Wikimedia Foundation won't avail funds to
run the aforementioned project?
Again, partnerships with institutions, government and fun editorial
camps. The NGO world supports a lot of educational projects and we
shall vigorously seek funding for our projects from these circles.

7. What kind of a project/ activity would you envision WMKE and its
members undertake in order to fulfill the objectives of Wikimedia
Foundation as a whole?
Definitely, a project which would see more articles from Kenya and
Africa generally, translations and promoting use of the Wikimedia
projects in education and research. I would also suggest moving into
more African countries to grow Wikimedia in Africa.

David.