At 14:23 -0800 8/1/09, AndrewRT wrote:
>On Jan 7, 9:41 pm, Gordon Joly <gordon.j...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>  >Now, where are the rules of the game?
>>
>>  >Gordo
>
>The skeleton of the rules of the game are outlined on the wikipedia
>project page (en:WP:WLART) and the Flickr group (http://www.flickr.com/
>groups/wikipedia_loves_art/) Quite a few of the details are still
>missing - some just not expressed and up to be decided. I had a fairly
>detailed conversation with Pharos last week and many of these details
>are set but just not put on paper yet!
>
>  >From various discussions, the outline seems to be:
>
>People are invited to take photos, within the rules of the particular
>institution. For instance, the V&A say no tripods, no photos in
>temporary exhibitions (these are marked on the museum guide) and none
>of work created by artists who are alive or who died within 70 years
>(a precise statement of their rules will be posted to the wiki soon);
>as most of their collection is older than 200 years, the last isn't
>much of a problem as long as you keep away from the modern sections.
>If you take a photo of an item, please make your next photo a photo of
>the label so we can catalogue.
>
>People will be given a list of about 50 themes. For instance if the
>theme is "politician" (not giving anything away here!), you would get
>a point for a photograph of a sculture of a politician. You can get a
>maximum of three points per theme so the most you could get is 150
>points. A photo cannot count to more than one theme.
>
>Once taken, please upload the photo of the item and the label to
>flickr. Add a name, description and tag "V&A". Also tag the "theme"
>that applies to the photo. Crop, rotate, sharpen or otherwise edit it
>within flickr as necessary; Change the license to CC-Attribution or CC-
>Attribution-ShareAlike. Then add it to the WLA group.
>
>I've just noticed incidentally that flickr has an upload limit of
>100MB per month for free accounts. My 6mp camera creates photos about
>0.5 to 2 MB in size meaning I expect to get around 100 photos for that
>(50 images plus 50 tags). Is this likely to cause a problem? Can you
>get round it by just creating three accounts?
>
>Or should we say people can alternatively just upload the photo of the
>item, as long as you transcribe the label onto the description?
>
>Each museum will go round each photo tagged to them and check it
>complies with their restrictions (e.g. living artists). I'm not sure
>at the moment whether they will remove non-compliant images from the
>group or tag them and ask the photographer to remove them from the
>group. Either way they will still be there on the person's own
>photostream so there's no loss if we need to reverse it. Also I'm not
>sure whether someone will go round positively tagging those that
>appear to be compliant.
>
>We will also contact users who haven't applied a wikipedia-compatible
>license to ask them to change it.

> [...]

Thanks Andrew.

How does that sound? Complicated, and the competitor cannot control
"stage 2". So it is no longer a scavenger hunt at that stage, there
may be wrangling... if the other parties don't like the images (not
the judges).

And I thought that this was a team competition.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/wikipedia_loves_art/

"Shoot on your own or create a small team (10 people, tops) and
sign-up online (posted soon)."

Is the V & A competition a solo effort?

Gordon

--