Undoubtably some of them will be public domain - those for which the
author died over 70 years ago - but it tends to be troublesome to
find out when the author did die. Others, especially any audio/video,
will still be copyrighted by the author. Assuming the authors are
still alive, we'd need to get their permission to release them under
a free license (we're a bit stuck with those where the author died
less than 70 years ago, though, unless anyone's any good at
necromancy...)

Either way, there are a lot of cases where it will be non-trivial to
find out the copyright status, and it would be good if we could work
with the BBC to establish them.

Mike