Hi all,

Please find below the minutes of the board meeting on Tuesday which I'll also
post to the wiki. Please forward any corrections or comments to me or raise on
the talk page.

Regards,

Andrew

=====

Wikimedia UK Board meeting

Tuesday 12 th May 2009, 8:30pm BST at #wikimedia-uk-board

Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Andrew Turvey (AT) (Minutes); Paul Williams
(PW); Steve Virgin (SV); Joseph Seddon (JS); Zeyi He (ZH) (part)

Apologies: Tom Holden (TH); Zeyi He for late arrival

Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the meeting of the 5 th May were approved with minor changes.

ZH joined the meeting

The following actions were carried forward:

JS to send a token of our appreciation to the retiring Directors, tellers and
external speakers. AT will provide addresses.

ACTION: AT; JS

TH to contact the bank to notify them of the new directors, to change the
signatories to any two of MP, AT and TH and to set up AT and MP on the online
banking.

ACTION: TH

MP to set up a private wiki for sharing documents.

ACTION: MP

PW will talk to SV and ZH to get them set up with an account on IRC and give
them operator rights.

ACTION: PW, SV, ZH

PW will investigate whether the domain www.wikimedia.org.uk can occur free of
charge; if not, MP is authorised to pay the £23 transfer fee. MP will also
follow up hosting for the www.wikimedia.org.uk domain.

ACTION: PW, MP

TH is following up the subscription fee received without a membership form.

ACTION: TH

AT is to respond to the pressure group whose letter had been received.

ACTION: AT

AT will investigate whether it is possible for UK domains to opt out of Phorm
and, if so, send the opt out letter once the domain has been transferred.

Treasurer's Report

TH had nothing further to report.

Secretary's Report

AT had nothing further to report.

HMRC Response

TH has posted the letter on the wiki at [[Response to HMRC]]. AT had made some
suggestions at [[Talk:Response to HMRC]]. AT agreed to expand these into an
alternative wording, and the other members will comment on wiki for final
decision at the next meeting.

The WMF has offered to fund the cost of a barrister's advice.

It was agreed that the Board would still send a response to HMRC after the next
meeting rather than delaying it to wait for formal advice.

ACTION: AT

Draft New Chapter Agreement

The meeting went in camera. Details of decisions and actions are noted in the
confidential minutes

ACTION: MP

MP agreed to circulate to other Board members the comments on the agreement
received from Tango42.

ACTION: MP

Newsletter

It was agreed to send May the newsletter out on 20 th , and to move the date
progressively earlier in the month. PW agreed to start drafting and to assign
sections.

ACTION: PW

Website

MP agreed to set up email addresses for initiati...@wikimedia.org.uk and
volunte...@wikimedia.org.uk to forward to ZH & PW respectively.

ACTION: MP

PW agreed to send round instructions for registering with OTRS

ACTION: PW

It was agreed that personal addresses in the form
firstname.lastn...@wikimedia.org.uk would be cancelled once people are no
longer working for the chapter – e.g. For former board members.

Initiatives

ZH asked for suggestions as to how she could fulfil her role. AT, JS, PW, SV
and MP agreed to send at least one suggestion to ZH before the next meeting.

AT suggested the Board adopt a “timeline” similar to the one used by the
interim Board and target completing three initiatives by the time of the next
AGM.

ACTION: AT, JS, PW, SV and MP

Cultural partnerships

MP agreed to email a summary on this topic around the Board members for
discussion at the next meeting.

ACTION: MP

Process to select chapter seats on the Foundation Board

MP agreed to email a summary on this decision around the Board members for
discussion at the next meeting.

ACTION: AT

Any Other Business

ZH mentioned she had held discussions with people at her university to discuss
running campaigns to encourage people to edit Wikipedia. She agreed to send a
note with details round the Board.

ACTION: ZH

JS mentioned that a new Wikimedia mailing list has been launched for
Wikimedians in Ireland. If they proceed to form a chapter, we need to make an
arrangement for WM-UK members who are residents of Northern Ireland to
participate in the Irish chapter should they wish. It was agreed we'd include
this news in our newsletter and support the development of the mailing list or
any future chapter in any other way we could.

PW asked if he could have business cards printed for his role. It was agreed
this could be paid by the chapter. PW will research this and follow up with TH.

ACTION: PW

Meeting closed at 22:46