Please find below the minutes of our meeting last Tuesday (apologies for the
wiki markup!). Please send any corrections, comments or questions to me, post
on the wiki Talk page or reply to this on the list.

Regards,

Andrew

=======

'''Wikimedia UK Board meeting

'''Tuesday 19 th May 2009, 8:30pm BST at #wikimedia-uk-board

Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Andrew Turvey (AT) (Minutes); Paul Williams
(PW); Steve Virgin (SV); Joseph Seddon (JS); Tom Holden (TH)

Apologies: Zeyi He (ZH)

== Minutes of the previous meeting ==

The [[Meetings/2009-05-12|minutes of the meeting of the 12 th May]] were
approved with minor changes.

The following actions were carried forward:

JS to send the tokens of our appreciation to the retiring Directors, tellers
and external speakers.

'''ACTION: JS

TH to contact the bank to notify them of the new directors, to change the
signatories to any two of MP, AT and TH and to set up AT and MP on the online
banking.

'''ACTION: TH

PW will talk to SV and ZH to get them set up with an account on IRC and give
them operator rights.

'''ACTION: PW, SV, ZH

MP has transferred ownership of wikimedia.co.uk to us; MP still to organise
transfer of wikimedia.org.uk with current owner.

'''ACTION: MP

AT is to respond to the pressure group whose letter had been received.

'''ACTION: AT

AT will send the opt out email re Phorm once wikimedia.org.uk has been
transferred.

'''ACTION: AT

JS and MP agreed to send at least one suggestion regarding initiatives to ZH
before the next meeting.

'''ACTION: JS and MP

MP agreed to email a summary on cultural partnerships around the Board members
for discussion at the next meeting.

'''ACTION: MP

AT agreed to email a summary on the proposed process to agree the
chapter-selected seats in 2010.

'''ACTION: AT

ZH to send a note round the Board with details of the discussions she has had
with people at her university to discuss running campaigns to encourage people
to edit Wikipedia.

'''ACTION: ZH

PW will continue to research what is needed to produce business cards for
Wikimedia UK officials.

'''ACTION: PW

== Matters arising ==

MP will move the private wiki to http://board.wikimedia.org.uk.

'''ACTION: MP

== Treasurer's Report ==

Member Number 28's application was approved and he becomes a member with
immediate effect as his payment has already cleared.

It was agreed to put the Registers of Members, Directors etc. on the private
wiki.

'''ACTION: AT

== Secretary's Report ==

AT reported two items of correspondence:

# A letter from our MP, with a response from the minister responsible regarding
the HMRC delays.

# A referral from the en-wiki OTRS queue from an Imperial College spin off
company asking for our help on the use of wikis in education. AT agreed to
circulate to the Board, discuss on the mailing list and follow up.

'''ACTION: AT

== HMRC Response ==

Agreed to use the expanded draft from AT as the basis for our response.

Other ideas to be incorporated into the text include:

* The nature study comparing wikipedia to Britannica [
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v438/n7070/full/438900a.html ]

* examples of activities that other chapters, e.g. WMDE, and the WMF have done

* any other “real world” case studies concerning Wikip/media, including the
UNU-MERIT survey [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Survey ] [
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2009/04/16/first-preliminary-results-from-unu-merit-survey-of-wikipedia-readers-and-contributors-available/
 ]

* surveys of how Wikip/media is used by students, academics and professionals

* discussions with Zeyi on her research work

SV will look into starting a survey on social media sites

'''ACTION: SV

MP agreed to find some references we can quote regarding the use of wikipedia
as class assignments.

'''ACTION: MP

Agreed to continue to edit on the wiki and to approve at the next meeting.

'''ACTION: ALL

== Newsletter ==

JS agreed to complete the section on the 2010 Wikimedia UK conference tonight.

MP agreed to expand the “press coverage” and “other chapters” sections and
distribute tomorrow.

'''ACTION: JS; MP

== Membership Drive ==

PW agreed to start pushing this and organise the [[Membership/Drive]] page. MP,
AT, SV, JS agreed to send suggestions to PW about this by a fortnight's time.

'''ACTION: MP, AT, SV, JS

So that we can use it for members-only merchandising, AT agreed to send the
email to the Foundation previously discussed asking for permission to use their
trademarks.

'''ACTION: AT == Any other business == JS reported that Manchester Tourist
Board have offered their support to hosting a future Wikimania conference. The
Board has also had a separate discussion on email about volunteering to host
the 2010 chapters meeting. Discussion ensued on whether we should host a
combined 2010 chapters meeting and UK Conference in Manchester.  JS will
discuss with MTB whether they could support this event and express a statement
of interest in regards to the chapters meeting on the chapters list. JS will
continue to follow up over the next two weeks. MP and JS will liaise on
discussing it with previous chapters meeting hosts Wikimedia Deutschland,
Nederland and France. '''ACTION: JS We discussed ways to encourage donations.
It was agreed directors should accept cash donations at wikimeets etc, give
paper receipts and pay the cash into a bank branch. TH will follow up opening a
non-charity PayPal account. TH will provide bank
 account details on request. '''ACTION: TH