Hi all,

The minutes of Tuesday's Board meeting are now published on the wiki and are
copied below for your information. If you have any queries on any items please
let me or another board member know and let me know if you have any
corrections.

The main items that were discussed that may be of interest to members and
supporters:

- Our response to HMRC regarding charity status is nearly finalised and will be
sent out this week
- Discussions are ongoing with Manchester Tourist Board regarding a possible
bid for Wikimania 2013
- Discussions are ongoing regarding potential initiatives with the BBC, the
Manchester Museum of Science & Industry, Vega Science Trust and other people
- The board continues to deal with various press enquiries and is putting
together a set of template press responses
- We are looking into the costs of producing business cards for chapter
officers and supporters

Board members - please could you mark your actions as {{done}}, {{doing}},
{{cf}} pr {{not done}} as appropriate and also mark {{discuss}} if you think it
needs discussing again.

Regards,

--

Andrew Turvey
Secretary

----------------------

Wikimedia UK Board meeting Tuesday 9th June 2009, 8:30pm BST at
#wikimedia-uk-board

Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Steve Virgin (SV); Joseph Seddon (JS); Paul
Williams (PW)

Apologies: Andrew Turvey (AT) (minutes); Tom Holden (TH) and Zeyi He (ZH), all
for late arrival

Minutes of the previous meetings

The minutes of the meetings dated 26 May and 2 June were approved.

The following actions have been carried forward:

1. JS to send the tokens of our appreciation to the retiring Directors, tellers
and external speakers.

'''ACTION: JS

2. TH to contact the bank to notify them of the new directors, to change the
signatories to any two of MP, AT and TH and to set up AT and MP on the online
banking. MP, ZH, SV and JS to return to TH the forms they have received.

'''ACTION: TH, MP, ZH, SV, JS

3. MP to organise transfer of wikimedia.org.uk to WMUK.

'''ACTION: MP

4. AT will send the opt out email re Phorm once wikimedia.org.uk has been
transferred.

'''ACTION: AT

5. PW will continue to research what is needed to produce business cards for
Wikimedia UK officials.

'''ACTION: PW

6. PW agreed to start pushing membership and organise the Membership/Drive
page.

'''ACTION: PW

7. MP, SV, JS agreed to send suggestions on membership to PW by 9 June.

'''ACTION: MP, SV, JS

8. SV, MP, JS to collate press response template list

'''ACTION: SV, MP + JS

9. ZH to prepare a timeline for WMUK initiatives.

'''ACTION: ZH

10. TD agreed to contact the gazette on behalf of WMUK to solicit a pro-bono
lawyer

'''ACTION: TD

11. TH + MP agreed to contact pro bono lawyer groups by email

'''ACTION: TH + MP

12. JS to copy the standard templates from OTRS for use in the press response
template

'''ACTION: JS

13. JS to clarify if the offer of help from WJBScribe means formal written
advice that can be relied upon or informal word of mouth assistance.

'''ACTION: JS

14. The cost to attend is £400/day/person (£400 for the 3 days for registered
charities). JS will confirm whether speakers have to pay this fee.

'''ACTION: JS

15. In the event that speakers do have to pay the fee, SV will look into
getting a slot in a fringe event instead.

'''ACTION: SV

16. Once this is established, JS, MP, AT will work on a submission

'''ACTION: JS, MP, AT

17. The Vega Science Trust, a not-for-profit publishing material on the
internet; JS and SV will follow up with a call to discuss collaboration
opportunities.

'''ACTION: JS; SV

18. Bairds, a public affairs consultancy who may be able to help regarding
funding for Welsh language projects. JS and SV will follow up to discuss
collaboration opportunities.

'''ACTION: JS; SV

19. The Red Maids school regarding the wikischools idea. JS and SV will
progress

'''ACTION: JS; SV

20. AT to thank the pro-bono lawyer for his offer of help, explain the Board
has decided to respond to HMRC ASAP; if this is not successful we may then seek
legal advice so would be grateful for assistance then if it's still available
and would they be prepared to advise us on the chapters agreement.

Matters arising

SV has followed up on the BBC email and has reported back by phone to MP, AT
and JS. SV agreed to phone TH, PW and ZH to inform them of progress.

'''ACTION: SV

''ZH joined the meeting

PW will circulate the designs of the WMUK business cards

'''ACTION: PW

''TH joined the meeting

''AT joined the meeting

PW will send AT a copy of the Wikimedia chapters design template

'''ACTION: PW {{done}}

TH will send AT a copy of the template he's been using for correspondence.

'''ACTION: TH {{done}}

AT will forward a copy of the HMRC response letter to WMF to ask them for
comments, particularly ways to expand Appendix A.

'''ACTION: AT

TH will forward Appendix B to his barrister friend for comments.

'''ACTION: TH {{done}}

AT will post to the HMRC, incorporating the comments on format and content
received, aiming for the end of the week.

'''ACTION: AT

Reports

Secretary

AT has unsubscribed SV from internal-L and chapters-L at his request due to the
volume of posts. It was agreed to subscribe JS to internal-L in our fifth
place.

'''ACTION: AT {{done}}

Treasurer

The Board asked the signatories to agree to the resolution at
[[Meetings/2009-06-09/Resolutions]] and TH, AT and MP formally did so.

TH has received a donation of £20 which has been acknowledged.

Current bank balance is £264.85, but a further claim for AGM expenses is
expected from AT.

'''ACTION: AT

Chair

It was suggested that we should not be too critical of journalists who get
details wrong and should not necessarily ask for errors in stories to be
corrected unless they negatively impact on our image.

It was agreed to add HMRC and the ArbCom issues to our press templates.

'''ACTION: AT {{done}}

MP has also been contacted by the BBC World Service regarding the
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:ARBSCI Scientology issue].

MP has held discussions with the [[en:wp:Manchester Museum of Science and
Industry]] regarding a potential [[initiative]] there.

Corporate relations

SV and JS are meeting the University of Western England July 14 to discuss
collaboration.

Conferences

JS has sent some information from Manchester Tourist Board to the other
directors. He is arranging meetings over the summer to visit venues.

IRC Logs

It was agreed to continue publishing the logs of old meetings online.

Domain names

MP to investigate what other domains names are available so that the Board can
decide whether to request ownership ourselves or enable the WMF to own them.

'''ACTION: MP

Newsletter

PW will develop the newsletter by 14 June and distribute before the next
meeting, in line with the plan to bring the newsletter dates forward.

'''ACTION: PW

Next meeting

Next meeting was arranged for Tuesday 23rd June, 8:30pm at #wikimedia-uk-board

Meeting closed at 22:32.