inutes

Hi all,

The minutes of the last board meeting are now up on the wiki at
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-06-23 and copied for your
convenience below. Please could you let me have any corrections or queries.

At the last meeting, we had three key discussions on membership recruitment,
fundraising and initiatives. One of the key conclusions was how interlinked
these are - the more initiatives we have, particularly those that are
participative, the more members we can attract to the chapter. Subscription
fees will then be able to cover the administrative costs of running the
chapter, meaning we can focus our fundraising on initiatives.

We affirmed our commitment to completing at least three initiatives by the time
of the next AGM in spring 2010. To this end, we've adopted a timeline (at
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Initiatives#Timeline) which says we aim to
identify the three initiatives by 15 July, establish a person to lead for each
task by 31 July and set out a full plan with costs, timetable and resource
requirement by the end of August.

Next Tuesday, the board will holding an open discussion on initiatives in
#wikimedia-uk - please come along and let us know what ideas you have, share
ideas and let us know what you can do to help.

In the meantime we are looking into creating a range of members-only
merchandising, which will feature Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia UK logos
on mugs, ties, cufflinks and so on. Let us know what kinds of items you would
be interested in buying!

We are also having business cards printed so that those people who represent
the chapter will be able to give out a professional and consistent image. If
you would like to have some of these cards printed, please contact Paul
Williams, our Volunteers Director (ccd above) .

Finally, we noted that our response to HMRC has now been sent in, and we are
waiting to see how that is received.

Regards,

Andrew Turvey

Secretary
Wikimedia UK
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales,
Registered No. 6741827.
The Registered Office is at 23 Cartwright Way, Nottingham, NG9 1RL, United
Kingdom.

Wikimedia UK Board meeting Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 8:30pm BST at
#wikimedia-uk-board
Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Andrew Turvey (AT) (minutes); Joseph Seddon
(JS); Paul Williams (PW); Tom Holden (TH)

Apologies: Steve Virgin (SV); Zeyi He (ZH)

Contents
[ hide ]

        • 1 Minutes of the previous meetings

                • 1.1 Matters arising

                        • 1.1.1 Business cards
        • 2 Reports

                • 2.1 Secretary's Report
                • 2.2 Treasurer's Report
                • 2.3 Chair's Report
                • 2.4 Conferences Report
                • 2.5 Corporate relations Report
        • 3 Membership recruitment
        • 4 Newsletter
        • 5 Initiatives
        • 6 Fundraising
        • 7 Next meeting

[ edit ] Minutes of the previous meetings
The minutes of the meetings dated 9 June were approved.
The following actions have been carried forward:
1. JS to send the tokens of our appreciation to the retiring Directors, tellers
and external speakers.
ACTION: JS
2. TH to contact the bank to notify them of the new directors, to change the
signatories to any two of MP, AT and TH and to set up AT and MP on the online
banking. ZH, SV and JS to return to TH the forms they have received.

ACTION: ZH, SV, JS, TH
3. MP to organise transfer of wikimedia.org.uk to WMUK.
ACTION: MP /wiki/ File:Yes_check.svg Picture (Metafile)/wiki/
File:Yes_check.svg Done
4. AT will send the opt out email re Phorm once wikimedia.org.uk has been
transferred.
ACTION: AT
5. PW will arrange the production of business cards for Wikimedia UK officials.
ACTION: PW
6. SV, MP, JS to collate press response template list
ACTION: SV, MP + JS
7. TD agreed to contact the gazette on behalf of WMUK to solicit a pro-bono
lawyer
ACTION: TD
8. MP agreed to contact pro bono lawyer groups by email
ACTION: MP
9. JS to copy the standard templates from OTRS for use in the press response
template
ACTION: JS
10. JS to clarify if the offer of help from WJBScribe means formal written
advice that can be relied upon or informal word of mouth assistance.

ACTION: JS
11. The cost to attend the Online Information 2009 (1-3 Dec, London) conference
is £400/day/person (£400 for the 3 days for registered charities). JS will
confirm whether speakers have to pay this fee.

ACTION: JS
12. In the event that speakers do have to pay the fee, SV will look into
getting a slot in a fringe event instead.
ACTION: SV
13. Once this is established, JS, MP, AT will work on a submission
14. AT to thank the pro-bono lawyer for his offer of help, explain the Board
has decided to respond to HMRC ASAP; if this is not successful we may then seek
legal advice so would be grateful for assistance then if it's still available
and would they be prepared to advise us on the chapters agreement.

ACTION: AT
15. AT to submit expenses AGM claim .
ACTION: AT
16. MP to investigate what other domains names are available so that the Board
can decide whether to request ownership ourselves or enable the WMF to own
them.

ACTION: MP

[ edit ] Matters arising

[ edit ] Business cards
It was agreed that all people who act on behalf of the chapter - including
non-board members - will be able to have personalised or general business cards
so long as they pay for the cost, including postage, themselves.

The chapter agreed to pay up to £5 per person to fund board members' business
cards.
It was decided to use the WMF standard design set out Business Cards/generic
design , tweaked as necessary.
PW agreed to finalise the design, contact interested members to see what cards
they want and organise the printing.
ACTION: PW

[ edit ] Reports

[ edit ] Secretary's Report
The report here was noted.
The response to HMRC was sent earlier today. We had not heard back from the
Foundation so it was decided not to delay it any longer. AT agreed to upload
the letter to the wiki.

ACTION: AT /wiki/ File:Yes_check.svg Picture (Metafile)/wiki/
File:Yes_check.svg Done ( File:File-HMRC Response Letter.pdf )

[ edit ] Treasurer's Report
The report here was noted.
A member asked what the status was with direct debits - TH said we have to have
had the account opened for a year so this will be reconsidered in January 2010.

[ edit ] Chair's Report
The report here was noted.

[ edit ] Conferences Report
The report here was noted.

[ edit ] Corporate relations Report
The report here was noted.

[ edit ] Membership recruitment
PW led a discussion on membership recruitment asking how can we reach out to
people to join and how can we engage existing members to renew.

AT reported that the WMF are happy in principle with members merchandising -
they would like to frmalise the agreement with an exchange of emails, from us
setting out what we intend to do and from them agreeing to it. PW agreed to
draft an email to the WMF.

ACTION: PW
PW agreed to look into where we could produce merchandise.
ACTION: PW
We discussed raising awareness of our activities by sending messages to the
most active UK based wikimedians (perhaps using User:Cfp/Sandbox1)

It was agreed that having participatory intiatives was key, and we would
consider this when looking at future initiatives. We could also arrange
members-only events, as done by Wikimedia Australia with their cultural
institution contacts.

Members may also consider that "having their say" through votes at the AGM and
for chapter-selected seats on the WMF is a key reason to join.

We should also look to improve our standard advertising templates like
Template:Welcome

[ edit ] Newsletter
Final changes were discussed to the June newsletter
PW agreed to finalise on Tuesday evening and distribute with MP.
ACTION: PW, MP /wiki/ File:Yes_check.svg Picture (Metafile)/wiki/
File:Yes_check.svg Done

[ edit ] Initiatives
The initiatives timeline was agreed with changes.

[ edit ] Fundraising
It was suggested we fundraise specifically for particular inititatives and try
to recruit enough members so that subscriptions cover general admin expenses.
When we do events we should sue that as an opportunity to fundraise - even if
it's just standing there with a bucket for coins. Fundraising may be easier
once we have charitable status.

At the moment it was decided not to establish a fundraising committee or to set
up a CiviCRM account, but to reconsider both at the time of the annual WMF
fundraiser.

[ edit ] Next meeting
It was agreed the next meeting would be on Tuesday 7th July, 8:30 pm (BST) in
#wikimedia-uk-board.
In the meantime, there would be a discussion on initiatives on Tuesday 30th
June, 8:30pm in #wikimedia-uk.