Early heads up about a potential workshop that is being discussed in France.
May be worth getting some WMUK people in here - particularly the "content
partnerships" track.

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Erik Moeller" <e...@wikimedia.org>
Sent: Friday, 14 August, 2009 18:56:15 GMT +00:00 GMT Britain, Ireland,
Portugal
Subject: [Foundation-l] RfC: Multimedia workshop

Wikimedia France and the Wikimedia Foundation are currently
considering the idea of a multimedia-focused workshop and planning
event to take place in October 2009. Rather than an open community
conference like Wikimania, this would be a workshop targeting skilled
practitioners who want to help transform our approach to rich media
throughout the Wikimedia universe.

This event will most likely happen in France, as Wikimedia France will
be providing logistical support and most of the funding, with a goal
to ensure that the most relevant people can be present at the event.

One of the key objective of this meeting would be to help inform the
recently funded Multimedia Usability Project to improve the usability
of Wikimedia Commons. This meeting should help to immerse the project
team in the complex world of multimedia in Wikimedia projects today.
It should also help to start building a core group of volunteers as
well as chapter support for the project.

Beyond the Multimedia Usability Project, we're hoping that useful
practical discussions will lead to outcomes positively driving
approaches to sharing and collaborating multimedia in the Wikimedia
universe forward.

We're thinking of a three-day event with a group of 30 people total,
who could receive travel scholarships if they don't have any other
organizational funding support. The meeting could potentially be
divided into three tracks: technology, content partnerships, and
community practices. Participants would be a combination of people
directly invited because of their known high value contributions, and
people applying or being nominated.

We're currently envisioning that the tracks could be structured as follows:

* Technology track: This would include hammering out specs and code
for key technological improvements deemed necessary for rich media in
WMF projects in areas such as upload usability and workflow, search
and tagging (including multilingual search), permissions workflow,
deletion workflow, and so forth. It could also address next-generation
technologies such as video editing tools, as well as operational
issues associated with large scale content delivery.

* Content partnerships track: This would look at best practices, and
could perhaps be used to hammer out a "content partnerships manual"
for working with institutions as in the case of the German archive
partnerships. It could also be used to prioritize partnership
opportunities.

* Community practices track: Here we would discuss constructive ways
for the Commons and local project communities to interact, existing
deletion and arbitration practices, legal issues with different types
of media, and other day-to-day issues that Commons community members
deal with.

Ideally the outputs of the process would also feed into the Wikimedia
Foundation strategy planning process. This workshop is not designed to
address "content creation" questions, i.e., how to shoot a good photo,
how to restore an image, etc. It's intended to identify practical
solutions and approaches for challenges in the above three areas.

Please give us your feedback

* Does this basic division make sense? Might another track setup be
more helpful?
* In the above tracks, which other issues should be addressed? Which
issues should be avoided?
* Any other comments and suggestions welcome.

Also, if you'd like to participate in such an event, or if you want to
nominate someone else to do so, feel free to send us an initial note.
We may decide to not hold the event, or to alter its shape, but a
provisional expression of interest will help us plan. Currently we're
holding October 9-11 as the dates.

Please leave comments on the talk page here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_Usability_Project_Meeting_October_2009

Or if you want to express interest privately, please e-mail both me
and Delphine Ménard:

e...@wikimedia.org
delphine.men...@wikimedia.fr

Thanks!