2009/9/7 Michael Peel <em...@mikepeel.net>:
> In general, I've been wondering whether it would be worthwhile for
> WMUK to generally offer limited amounts of travel funds for Wikimedia-
> related activities, such as attending appropriate seminars/
> conferences or to carry out research somewhere et cetera. A typical
> maximum could be something like £20, but with special cases allowed.
> The catches would be that the recipient would have to first give good
> reasons in order to get the funding, and then give a report back
> afterwards. Depending on the event, the report could be to the board,
> on wiki, on the mailing list, in the newsletter, in the form of a
> blog post or some combination of the above.
>
> Depending on the activity, we could then provide the money out of
> either the WMF grant or out of general funds. Typically recipients
> would probably have to be WMUK members, but exceptions might be
> allowed in exceptional cases. It's then an additional incentive to
> become a member.

I think it would be a very good thing for WMUK to fund people
attending conferences. We already have £500 allocated from the WMF
grant for precisely this, so I'm not entirely sure why this is still
in question! I would suggest you delegate allocating funds from that
budget to the Conference Director - there is no need for the board to
vote on everything. Once the WMF grant runs out a budget for this
should be provided from general funds.