Please find copied below the minutes of the board meeting on Tuesday.

At the meeting we heard a report back from Mike Peel and Tom Holden from the
"Pictures in Public" they had just attended, including discussions with people
from the National Portrait Gallery. We discussed a lead from the St Helena
Tourism Board who may want to get involved with Britain Loves Wikipedia or
something similar.

We're keen to hear from anyone who can help us develop material to use in the
Schools Project - please email Paul Williams (paul.willi...@wikimedia.org.uk)
if you can help with that.

We've also started work on the Annual Wikimedia Fundraiser which is due to
start on 1st November, and has great potential for attracting funds, members
and interest in the chapter.

Any corrections, suggestion, comments as always welcome either to this email
list, in reply to me personally or on the wiki.

regards,

Andrew Turvey
Secretary
Wikimedia UK
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales,
Registered No. 6741827.
The Registered Office is at 23 Cartwright Way, Nottingham, NG9 1RL, United
Kingdom.

==================

Wikimedia UK Board meeting Tuesday 15th September 2009, 8:30pm BST at
#wikimedia-uk-board

Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Andrew Turvey (AT) (minutes); Zeyi He (ZH);
Paul Williams (PW) (part); Tom Holden (TH); Steve Virgin (SV)

Apologies: Joseph Seddon (JS)

[ edit ] Minutes of previous meetings

The minutes of the meeting dated 1 September was approved.

The following actions were carried forward:

1. AT will look into where we could produce branded merchandise.

2. MP to complete the press FAQs at Frequently Asked Questions

3. MP to work with SV to do mini press releases, no more than one per month,
advertising spikes in traffic per WP:POPULAR related to particular news events.

4. PW will develop a proposal for buying a computer for the Schools Project
with, potentially, peripherals such as a projector, screen, printer etc.

5. JS to draft an email for the Open Knowledge Foundation mailing list, to
recruit new members.

6. AT to arrange printing of the business cards

7. MP to investigate moving our wiki at http://uk.wikimedia.org to
http://www.wikimedia.org.uk subject to technical feasibility re Single User
Logins and hosting, with gb.wikimedia.org as a potential alternative. Bug
Report . Once this has been completed, MP to follow up with Wikimedia Ukraine
regarding the "uk." website conflict.

8. AT agreed to investigate getting paid legal advice on charitable status,
using the Foundation's offer to fund.

9. TH will update the Register of Members for members 29-32.

10. JS agreed to follow up with his contacts at the BBC Digital Revolution and
click and get them in touch with the Workplace Learning Lunches.

11. AT agreed to draft a response to the supporter who wants to support us
anonymously and circulate to the board.

12. MP agreed to investigate options for a Britain Loves Wikipedia domain name
and recommend one to register.

13. AT agreed to contact each board member to complete the register of
interests.

14. MP agreed to arrange CRB checks for board members and Schools Project
volunteers once the funding reallocation had been agreed with the Foundation.

15. MP agreed to investigate moving our OTRS system to one hosted by ourselves
to reduce the risk that confidential emails are inappropriately viewed by
non-WMUK people or emails are sent in the name of the chapter without approval.

16. MP agreed to follow up with the foundation his request for detailed
statistics on the proportion of UK internet users who use Wikipedia.

17. PW and MP agreed to complete and distribute the September newsletter.

[ edit ] Matters arising

PW and SV have emailed round lists of press contacts; it was agreed these would
be added to http://board.wikimedia.org.uk/

ACTION: AT

There was a discussion on the date of the monthly newsletter - at the start,
middle or end of the month and it was agreed this would be continued on the
board mailing list.

[ edit ] Reports

[ edit ] Secretary's Report

The Secretary's Report was noted. Unfortunately no one was able to meet with
the Wikipedia Loves Art winner who's visiting London so AT agreed to reply with
our apologies.

ACTION: AT

[ edit ] Treasurer's Report

The Treasurer's Report was noted which showed net unrestricted funds of
£104.07.

[ edit ] Chair's Report

The Chair's Report was noted.

The Board agreed that MP should continue the dialogue with the National
Portrait Gallery that was started at the Pictures in Public conference, keeping
the Foundation informed of progress.

The Board also agreed that MP could install anti-comment spam "Akismet" on the
Blog.

[ edit ] Initiatives Report

The Initiatives Report was noted, with a correction that the Postal museum is
not yet confirmed.

Note: the Conferences Report was delayed until JS' arrival

[ edit ] Corporate Report

The Corporate Report was noted. SV has been talking to an agent of the St
Helena Tourism Board regarding the Wikipedia Loves Art concept. MP agreed to
phone SV to discuss further.

ACTION: MP

SV is also following up a lead with Child Wise, who run a project for Hackney
council. It was suggested we should try to train the teachers rather direct
teaching children, to avoid child protection barriers.

MP agreed to send SV the names of the BBC people he had spoken to at the
Pictures in Public conference for the Workplaces Lunches initiative.

ACTION: MP

SV agreed to refer the approach from a commercial database company to Kul at
the Foundation.

ACTION: SV

[ edit ] Volunteers Report

The Volunteers Report was noted.

[ edit ] Brighton Seminar

A message to the email list mentioned a free copyright seminar in Brighton at
the end of the month. It was agreed in principle that the free content
conference monies could be used for this and that JS would be asked to take the
lead with this, making recommendations to the board by email which will be
approved unless someone objects within 24 hours. AT agreed to approach JS and
detailed mechanics will be discussed further by email.

ACTION: AT

[ edit ] Initiatives

[ edit ] Schools project

PW raised a concern that he needed more help developing content for this
project as he can't do it on his own. PW agreed to drop an email to the schools
email list setting out what's needed. ZH offered to help and will phone PW to
discuss.

ACTION: PW, ZH

PW left the meeting

[ edit ] Workplace learning lunches

As discussed under the corporate report, there are problems progressing this
with the BBC so SV will try an alternative approach. The timeline and budget
are still outstanding.

[ edit ] Britain Loves Wikipedia

V&A have confirmed that they will participate and host the opening event.

[ edit ] AOB

[ edit ] Merchandising

Permission has been received from the Foundation to use their logos for
merchandise . AT started an email thread discussing what kind of merchandise
people would buy which threw up some good ideas. AT agreed to investigate
printing on demand T-shirts and advertise on the wiki, email list, blog,
twitter and facebook. (see previous action)

[ edit ] In person board meeting

The date of 10th October was confirmed; MP will confirm attendance and make
further arrangements over email.

ACTION: MP

[ edit ] Fundraising drive

AT agreed to send an email regarding the main issues that need agreement on the
Fundraising Agreement.

ACTION: AT

Other tasks identified included the donation content page including our list of
proposed activities, publicity and the transfer of funds. MP suggested we set
up a wiki page. Further discussion will take place at the next meeting.

ACTION: MP [ edit ] Next meeting

The next meeting was set for Tuesday 29th September, 8:30pm,
#wikimedia-uk-board

Meeting closed at 22:55